Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommie_rose

Plant Swap?

mommie_rose
16 years ago

Anyone else itching to start planning a plant swap? I live north of Milwaukee, and I would offer my yard if no one else would like to host. My yard is small and not at all what I want it to look like (moved here in October), but I have plenty of common hostas to give away! My calender is filling up surprisingly quickly for May this year, so I'd like to pencil something in if anyone else is interested!

Comments (22)

• superdavefive
    16 years ago

I might have a couple of extras (mostly common stuff too) that I should have to trade. I'd definately be interested into checking out your gardens if that's included! I live in Waukesha.

• mommie_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, my gardens are certainly nothing to write home about...yet! In a few years I'm hoping to have the best yard in my neighborhood. I'm a little competitive, but I don't think I've got that much competition! Not many avid gardeners around here, it seems. Anyway, anyone else up for a swap around mid-May? Daddy Longlegs? Tuskiegie? Graniledge? Where are you guys?

• daddylonglegs
    16 years ago

I haven't logged in for a while, gardening just a distant memory. I know it has something to do with dirt that isn't under 3' of snow!
    Yes I'm up for it, sounds like plenty of hosta to eat!
    Superdavefive in Waukesha!? Me too, just south of the Country Springs hotel.

• Rachel_WI_5
    16 years ago

Hi, Mommy Rose, Just how far north of Milwaukee are you? I'm in Manitowoc, but I've driven a ways to get to plant swaps already. I always have lots of plants to trade, too. I normally don't complain about the weather, but this year it's beginning to get to me, especially all the last offering of snow and ice that we've received and today it's still a degree or two below zero here. It may take until mid-May to even see green grass again. Thankfully my hibiscus are blooming happily in my livingroom as are the orange and lemon plants my daughter brought back from Florida for me a couple years ago.

• mommie_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Rachel! I'm in West Bend, so like an hour or so north of Milwaukee. I'm really getting annoyed with this weather, too! All my winter-sown containers are under like 6 inches of snow right now!

Considering the weather, I would be willing to move the swap to June, if anyone is interested in that. I really don't care when it is, as long as we have it! I've got a bunch of hostas in my yard I want out!

• granilege
    16 years ago

Hey there Mommie Rose. I haven't been around lately. Taking mucho classes. June sounds good for me. I am coming from the other side of the state, so afternoon would be better for me. Let me know what you decide. GL

• mommie_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think June would work best for me, too. How does June 7 look for everybody?

• granilege
    16 years ago

June 7th is good for me. :) GL

• daddylonglegs
    16 years ago

I'm in too

• Rachel_WI_5
    16 years ago

I've pencilled in June 7th. Now let's hope the snow melts before then so we can find our plants. We had a few more inches again last night and I'm still chopping ice from the rain followed by freezing about 2 weeks ago. Everytime I clear off an area on the patio and put out peanuts for the squirrels, it snows and covers them all up again. My poor squirrels are actually digging holes looking for them.
    I'm beginning to understand the concept of "eternity" when I think about this winter. THINK SPRING

• mommie_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hear ya! Yesturday morning my neighbor asked if it wasn't too early in the day to start his snowblower, and I told him pretty soon he'll be starting the lawn mower, to which he replied, "I think that may be wishful thinking on your part." Let's hope the snow is gone by June 7!

• mommie_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update: The plant swap is officially set for June 7. Just to let you all know, I have succesfully rooted some jade cuttings (5) and am attempting some German Ivy cuttings (4). While German Ivy is typically grown as an annual in our climate, I successfully overwintered it as a houseplant with little problems. That's all I got so far. Hope you guys are still available!

• daddylonglegs
    16 years ago

I would have a better chance at making an afternoon swap rather than a morning.

Rich

• mommie_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Me, too! I was thinking early afternoon, like around one-ish.

• mike1970
    16 years ago

Afternoon would be better. Around one-ish is great.

Mike

• led_zep_rules
    16 years ago

Hi, I don't read this group much in the winter, then I focus on hearth.net. We heat with wood and that keeps one as busy as gardening (cutting, splitting, stacking, with carrying=weeding, i.e., you have to do that part in between all the other steps.)

An hour north of Milwaukee might be a little far for me to go to swap plants. Although I know that people drove quite far to arrive at the plant swap at my house last year! Which worked out great, by the way, although I am still digging out one of the mystery plants daddylonglegs gave me last year. :-) It has yellow flowers, large leaves, and grow 4 feet tall, too big for the garden it was in, and spreads like the dickens.

Any chance that anyone is bringing some unusual hosta? I am determined to get a blue hosta of some type this year. I saw a lot of nice ones at Summerfest last year. Or even yellow mixed with green or something, I have a variety of green and white/green types and want to branch out a little.

If I come, I could bring a variety of irises, oregano, a deep pink dianthus, black-eyed susans, daisies, groundcovers, chocolate mint, all kinds of things. I assume everyone on the planet who wants daylilies already has them . . .

Marcia

• mommie_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Led_zep, I know I have hosta I want to get rid of, but I'm pretty sure it's just common stuff. If you want more of it, though, you're more than welcome to it.

If you do come, I would be interested in some of your stuff, namely the irises, black-eyed susans, and chocolate mint.

Still not sure exactly what I'll end up with aside from the hosta and aforementioned jade. The ivy didn't work out, but I think I'll try again on that. I've got plenty of seedlings coming up, but like I said, I'm not sure what I'll end up with as far as that goes.

I have a lot of wants this year, including varius herbs and flowers. I may be set as far as the veg, aside from strawberries or asperigus, if anyone has any of those.

Good luck with the snow, and keep the wants/offers coming!

• mommie_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

First of all, guys, I want to apologize for my recent absence. My husband has had to be gone an insane amount of time on business recently, and when he's gone, who's going to watch my toddlers so I can plant? I actually have hired my neighbor lady to watch them a couple hours a week so I can get some stuff done. So with all that going on, whenever I have a spare moment, I'm working on little plant-related projects, which explains why I've been gone from this site...

I wanted to know who is still interested in swapping at my house in West Bend on June 7 around 1 pm, and what you are interested in/what you have.

I'm starting to get a list together myself. I'm going to add to it, but so far I have to offer:

tiny jade plants (5)
    a million decent hostas
    grape vine cuttings
    1-2 year old chestnut tree sapplings (4?)
    daisies (from seed) (5)

I've been meaning to take more cuttings of my German Ivy- hopefully I can get to that soon, if anyone is interested.

My seeds didn't do so well so far this year, so I've got a few seed/seedling requests (unless noted, I would prefer the plants, but the seeds are cool, too):

cherry tomatoes
    green and banana peppers
    peas( sugar snap)
    large edible sunflowers-12
    Munsted lavender
    asperigus seeds
    chamomile
    basil
    tarragon
    lemon balm
    dill
    strawberry plants (any)
    blueberry bushes

Now I still have some herb containers to go through and get some seedlings from. Once I get those done I can post what herb seedlings I have and about how many. I also may be adding to my want list as well.

Again, sorry about the absence, and I hope you all are still interested.

Thanks,
    ~Liz

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

I've never been to a swap, so just have to ask stupid questions. Do you think anyone will want Russian Sage?
    I have many plants popping up next to the mother plant.
    Plus, I have a cazillion columbine (aquilegia) that have seeded all over the rocks in my walkway.
    Are these plants desireable?
    Pondy

• Rachel_WI_5
    15 years ago

Hello again,
    Since June 7 isn't just that far away, how about directions to your place so we can all find you? I know the way to West Bend, but what exit off I-43 and what direction to your address? I'll have an assortment of hostas, Solomon's Seal, rhubarb plants, Lamium (purple and yellow flowers and White Nancy), wild roses (pink), lemon balm, chervil, lovage, Angelica, raspberry plants, Engelman's Ivy, sundrops and a few primroses, too.
    I'll probably have a few annuals, also. Anyone hear of Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate? I've got those.

• mommie_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rachel, I sent you an email. Everyone else, if you need directions, please post so I can email you the directions, too. Thanks, guys, and I hope to see you all soon!

• led_zep_rules
    15 years ago

I am not sure about attending, but please send me directions if you aren't posting the location. Thanks. I seem to weed endlessly before I can plant anything, it is slow going getting everything into shape in my gardens this year. I make a new vegie garden every year, plus I made a new flower garden two years ago, I think I have to stop doing that! Not enough time in the day . . .

Marcia

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus