Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerndaylily

Daylily people in Wisconsin........

northerndaylily
15 years ago

Curious to hear from anyone growing daylilies... I hybridize them for our climate. Nice flowers.. the daylily.. not the end all by any means. I think the true lily for instance is superb.. unreal flowers on some of those plants. The challenge for me is to produce something for our climate. My 2008 sdlng collage:

Comments (16)

• pkton
    15 years ago

Hi, daylily fan here down in the southern part of the state listed as zone 5. Very nice seedlings. I only do some playing around with hybridizing when the mood strikes. I have over 700 plants in my big backyard here in Janesville. Lots of oldies and spiders and some tets. I have many other types of plants too. Daylilies were easy when I first started gardening so I OD'd on them for a few years! They seldom fail to please!
    Paula

• northerndaylily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Forgot my normal disclaimer. Seedling are just that.. potentials.. surely not all pan out. But that is my 'top 25' from last summer.. ones I feel have a legit shot at making it.

Thanks for your nice comments Paula. 700 is some yard full!

• pkton
    15 years ago

you are welcome, yes 700 is a yard full but I have 3+ city lots all together so it doesn't seem like that many until I have to weed or attempt to deadhead or try and find a particular plant that I wanted to show someone! Yes, some seedlings don't pan out...been there done that... but hopefully yours will. I like the "true pinks" you have. They are not that easy to find around here. Think spring!
    Paula

• heartsease
    15 years ago

We have quite a nice daylily group here in the Wausau area ... three of us are hybridizing plus buying seeds from the Lily Auction to start. All of us are trying for the fancy daylilies that they grow down south but will be hardy here.

• Rachel_WI_5
    15 years ago

After reading the previous messages about daylilies, I can't wait for the ground to thaw so I can move the ones I have to a better location where I can really see them in summer when they bloom. They are sort of competing for space right now, being over run by black eyed susans. I only have a couple nice ones, a dark red, a pink, and a bright yellow with the red throat. There's also a common orange that's always managing to sneak into the patch. I'll have to move the better ones just to get them away from the common one and maybe sooner or later I'll manage to get all the root from that one out of the bed. They really are relentless with their invasiveness.

• northerndaylily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rachel I used to have the orange ditchers too.. but got rid of them. Wayyy too invasive.. you'd be best served overall to dig them and let the others have the space.

• heartsease
    15 years ago

The orange ditch lilies are invasive ... they can even break up concrete, but you have to admire them for perseverance! My brother had them at the house he had bought so I made a hedge bordering the lawn and the ditch. Mowing the lawn keeps them in check and they can fill in the ditch all they want. People have stopped and given compliments! I guess there is a place for all plants, you just need to find it.

• northerndaylily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"I guess there is a place for all plants, you just need to find it"

Definitely agreed. My reference per getting rid of ditchers was in any flower beds one might have. We did that yrs back and it took yrs to get rid of them. Still have a few remnant plants in spots... did some weed killer on a few of them and I not sure it did them in.. :)

Ditchers.. as I call'm-- are the plants that got me interested in daylilies. That one and this diploid top left corner. Amazing flower.. tough-er nails.. unreal hardiness. I make seeds on it each yr.. this group this yr.

• Hosta_Haven
    15 years ago

Very pretty daylilies, folks! I love Bela Lugosi! Nice contrast to the pastel lilies and the huge size of the blossom.

Char

• northerndaylily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The purple eyezone flower in the last collage is Lavender Blue Baby.

Above collage the purple is my sdlng.. via Bela Lugosi as a matter of fact.

• heartsease
    15 years ago

Lavender Blue Baby is on my wish list ... nice to see it does well in colder climates. I have some seedlings in the garden with Tet Lavender Blue Baby as a parent. I hope to get that amazing eye zone. I also love green throats.

• northerndaylily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LBB isn't necessarily that hardy here. I've had it one yr and we had allot of snowcover last winter. Remember.. ground temps is what kills daylilies.. NOT air temps. USDA zonal maps meaning nearly nothing per determining cold hardiness.

That podder is super hardy... hopefully some of that LBB pollen took and a few nice ones come of it.

Any of your WI people want some of those seeds? If so.. let me know off list.

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

Northerndaylily,

Goodness, I haven't been here (the Wisconsin forum ) in such a long time, and what a pleasure to pop in and see daylily people! I just glanced at your member page, and I think I bought some things from you on the lily auction a while back.

Your seedlings are fantastic! Keep up the good work!
    I've been dabbing pollen now for a couple of years, but nothing serious going on here, just playing for my own pleasure. I'll leave the serious hybridizing to you energetic people! I have about 300 cultivars now, and a few hundred seedlings, and just a few of them started to bloom last season. It's so much fun to see how different kids look from their parents. It's also disappointing to see the brownish/dull ones that have to be culled. Oh, well, leaves room for more!

Might one of you people venture over to the daylily forums and check out the post, "Help! Should I mulch my daylilies NOW? A Wisconsin poster needs advise. I gave him my 2 cents-worth, but maybe some of you have better advice to give him.

Aladin, thanks for sharing your seedling collage with us!

Julie

• northerndaylily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Julie.. nice to touch bases with you on the Wi front.

• heartsease
    15 years ago

OMG, northerndaylily ... you're Aladin! Too funny, I bought some of your seed (Virtuosity X Victorian Lace) through Linda. I'm the third of the Daylily Musketeers up here in Wausau along with Mary Jo and Linda. I've been feeling left out of the fun (emailing) but I'm in the middle of a kitchen reno. I'm stealing a couple minutes from the home forum to keep up with any new Wi daylily posts. You can't have too many daylily friends. Is Miss P in the collage? I almost bought a cross with her from you ... loved the ruffles, sculpting and blend.

• northerndaylily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Miss P is an 05 bloom yr... not in the 08 collage.

V x VL.... good for you!! Gotta be some winners in there.

Miss P cross to VL:

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner