Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
periwinkledenise

Garden planning--spread sheet?

periwinkledenise
18 years ago

Does anyone plan their garden beds using a spread sheet or some kind of garden planner?

I had some software from Burpee a few years ago and tried it but I wasn't impressed.

I usually draw, using graph paper but am interested (during the rest of the 6 weeks of winter :)), in using something that will let me document, bloom succession, height etc. I made 2 new beds about 15 feet long last Fall--and they're just waiting to be planted. yay

Yagotanyideas? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Hi Denise,
    I use access. So far I have just used it for tracking what I planted, germination rates, germination info, success/failure, color, height, common and scientific name, where I got the plant/seed from, zone hardiness, where in my garden the plant is located, when it flowers, light prefrence, and how it did each year. You can add photos and documents (like the garden plans your talking about) too, but I have not learned how to do that yet. Anyway it's great, say for example I want to check all the blue flowers I have (like I did for your blue thread) I go to the color column sort a to z and all the blue flowers show up together. Say I want to find out everything that I got from Elvis in the past. I sort my source column and there it is. For awhile when I got my new puter I didn't have access so I tried using excel. That worked too, but I like access better.
    Catrina

• kathyloulynn
    18 years ago

Hi Denise,
    I keep track of my past gardens by using grid paper - 1/4" = 1'then I have an idea from year to year where I planted evgerything, how it did, what kind of seeds or store bought sets I used, how much product did I get. Then I sit down and go over my notes from past years and draw up a new diagram for the coming spring and a list of what I will need to get. I'm at a loss this year because last years harvest was so good I have enough canned and in the freezer for next year to. So am going to try a few new things this year. Any ideas??? as to what to plant I have enough Salsa, Tomatoe juice, beans, beets. I have never tried broccili or cauliflauer so was thinking of those and also the obvious peas, corn, onions, garlic, any ideas would be greatly appreciated my garden is huge and would be a shame to leave some places empty. Thanks, Katie

• SandiBluffs
    18 years ago

I am no computer whiz, but I have discovered the TABLE option on my program. Now I make grids on my document.

I have divided my area into zones, labeled them and created a grid for each area. Then I fill in the grid with a plant pattern. As I change my mind, I can replace the plant choices with other choices. I started this in November and have till February to finalize the choices.

Something else I did this year was write a garden journal(hard copy). It is set up by the month and has places to fill in planting plans, expenditures, moon phases, disease and insect challenges, etc. ...........SB :)

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Hi Sandi,
    What program are you using? I'm interested in knowing more about the table option.
    Catrina

• periwinkledenise
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks a lot you guys. I'm hoping to look at Access and also perhaps just make a table. The only thing is I don't know the dimensions. I'll have to go outside and measure the new garden beds--and there's a couple of feet of snow on them! :)

• SandiBluffs
    18 years ago

Catrina--- I use Word 2000. The table option is toward the right side of the tool bar. :) SB

• megansarah
    18 years ago

I do all of my planning and record keeping in Microsoft Excel. The 'grid' format helps me visualize the layout and plan for walkways, plant spacing, etc. Usually, I'll have one worksheet that is all layout, another worksheet that has my 'garden journal', and then one more worksheet with any random thoughts I have for next year. If I'm puttering around in the garden and notice that I have a plant that needs a bit more sun, I'll note it in my 'tips for next year' worksheet. In my 'garden journal' page, I keep a simple seasonal log of all my plants, when they were planted, how they fared, local weather stats, etc. This year I plan to include pictures in my log too.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Hi again,
    Yes, I noticed the problem of having to have measurements too Denise. I have a garden planning program from burpee too and with that one you can't do anything if you don't have the measurements and of course you are always working on it in the winter. I suppose you could guess, but something that just occured to me (and of course everyone dosen't have one of these) but you could use one of those things that surveyers use. Any other ideas out there?
    Catrina
    I'm gonna start playing with that table thing.

• periwinkledenise
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Catrina:

I asked this on another site and we've had a wonderful response/tutorial---teaching how to use Excel to create spreadsheets for gardening. The one I'm working on is for Bloom Succession. It shows you how to use color to fill in the cells and on the left side, a complete list of plants and plant varieties---so that when you look at the paper you can see the plants you have in your garden and how long they bloom.
    It's still a little confusing for me (the instructions) but I'll figure them out eventually. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: spreadsheet for bloom time

• janelkae
    18 years ago

There are great templates for everything at microsoft.com! I use their templates and clip art all the time!

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Great info guys. I'll have to review it in my spare time (lol) someday I'll truly be computer literate.
    C

Sponsored