Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing grapes and blueberries together

Posted by cinj 3-4 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 20, 09 at 12:14

I would like to grow a bed of blueberries and grapes in my yard in northern Wisconsin. I already have wild blackberries and they grow very well here. My soil is sandy and I live in an area with an abundance of pine trees. I wrote a post about this on my blog, but I'm looking for more information from people who may have done something like this before. I want to prepare the bed properly to allow my new plantings the very best start in life. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing grapes and blueberries together

This may not work well because of the different soil pH requirements of these 2 plants. Blueberries are acid lovers (soil pH 4.0-5.5) & most grape info says they like slightly acid soil (pH 5.5-6.5). Your soil sounds like it might be good for the blueberries but need lime for the grapes but the only way to be sure is a soil test.

o

Wirosarian is correct that the blueberry pH is going to be lower than that of grapes for ideal performance from both.

I grow grapes in a clay soil with a native pH of 6.8 and have slowly tried to lower the pH just slightly with the use of acid forming fertilizers.

For my blueberries I removed the soil in a 2' wide by 1' deep area (per shrub) and back filled with 90% peat and 10% native soil and I scratch in a small amount of elemental sulfur annually so the surrounding soil can't raise the pH of the peat. (peat is naturally 4.something pH).

I think you probably could grow both grapes and blueberries in the same soil (shoot for a 5.5 pH), but I don't know that either would be getting the 'optimal' conditions, kind of a compromise solution.

If you attempted to lower the soil pH lower than 5.0 for anything other than the blueberries you might run into an aluminum toxicity issue. Personally I advise to prepare each soil separately.

o

You'll need lots of space for this to work too. In addition to the different pH requirements, blueberries have a very shallow root system and don't do well with competing roots. Grapes have very large root systems to support their vines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here