Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jungseed

Any seeds started yet?

jungseed
14 years ago

So has anyone started any seeds yet? I'm not sure I can say I started mine. Does mailing the seeds to the person that will start them count?

Any winter sowing going on yet?

Comments (32)

• noinwi
    14 years ago

The only things I have started are some long season pepper seeds I was sent(seedlings are now under lights). I will be starting my main batch of peppers and tomatoes mid to late March, and I'm getting ready to winter sow some things next week...which I guess is also March already(LOL). I did a germination test last week, but then tossed the sprouts, so I guess that wouldn't count...

• sharoncl
    14 years ago

I WSed a bunch of different perennials so far -- mostly types of columbines and foxgloves -- but some less common things like gas plant and darmera and masterwort too. I'll wait til end of March/beg. of April to start my annuals and vegetables.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Wave petunias and impatiens (Accent and Holstii) so far. Coleus in a week or so.

tj

• athenainwi
    14 years ago

Only if sending them to the person who is doing the actual starting really does count. I ordered the seeds but had them sent to my mom since she offered to start them for me (she'll keep some plants for herself too). I need to get my own seed starting setup someday but this will work for now. It's just a few tomatoes this year that I didn't think I could find otherwise.

• jungseed
    Original Author
    14 years ago

athenainwi - I think that as two of us start our seeds the same way (by mail) we should count as started. Or maybe both of us should count as one.

Ruth

• mgmb
    14 years ago

Last year my garden friends, sister and I started to have an annual WS party and turn more people onto it. It's great because it is multi-generational. Our party was 2/28. I started bunny tail grass, columbine, nasturtiums, sweet peas, lambs ears, tall verbena, thyme, gentian sage, and mignonette. I'm going to wait a month or so and sow some different kinds of sedum, and do basil and tomatos in big containers.

• jungseed
    Original Author
    14 years ago

a winter sowing party sounds like a great time. Does everyone bring their seed and wind up sharing? Really hate to admit it, but I've never winter sowed anything. Really need to try it. Seems it works so well for everyone.
    Hope there is plenty of food involved with this.

• skeip
    14 years ago

This weekend planting Tomaotes, Peppers, Kale and Poppies under lights. Last year I started the Poppies (Flander's Field) indoors and set out plants. They really didn't do much. Would I be better off direct seeding the Poppies now? TYIA

Steve

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

You should be able to sow poppies now. I sow mine in the fall after the seedheads ripen. Nothing special, just broadcast them where I want them-don't even cover them. I usually wait until very late March to start tomatoes.

tj

• wumpdad
    14 years ago

I'm with tj on the tomatoes. My seed starting calender shows them up on March 31.

This weekend its Eggplant, Pepper, Parsley, Mint, Oregano, Thyme, Larkspur, Geranium, Moss Rose, Petunia, and Impatiens.

Next weekend its Cauliflower and Lettuce.

• skeip
    14 years ago

Thanks tj and wumpdad. It's poppies tomorrow outside, and tomatoes and peppers in two weeks!

• misss
    14 years ago

Well, I'm thinking spring and I have started Agastache (germinated), 2 varieties of Cuphea of which one has sprouted, Salvia black and blue, Salvia gregii, and Salvia Lady in Red and Coral (germinated).
    I am waiting a few weeks for the others.

• milwaukeeboy
    14 years ago

My son and I put our first round of 'mater seeds in on Sunday. About 8 different kinds. You can read all about our exploits on our blog (link below).

I started some lavender and rosemary a while back but I didn't get too much germination so I don't think we can count that (have two lavender seedlings that are ready to pot up).

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Blog

• dickiefickle
    14 years ago

And winter window toms

and winter window pepper

Tomatoes

• jungseed
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It looks like not everyone in WI has as short of a growing season as I thought I had. The pictures are great!

• woost2
    14 years ago

Getting true leaves on the peppers and have the first set of tomatoes germinating (more or less). I only have one heat mat, so have to get the peppers going earlier to give them more time on the heat. Another round of 'matoes will start next weekend.

I actually prepared a bed today and will put in the spinach and lettuce tomorrow. Have never been able to get going this early as everything is usually too wet. Just reading up on peas, inoculant and germinating inside.

Garlic and shallots are up!

• maplerbirch
    14 years ago

I like those mature plants in the window. Does that require a lot of supplemental light?

• dickiefickle
    14 years ago

I like those mature plants in the window. Does that require a lot of supplemental light?

No extra light but the plants are leggy ,but if I can get fresh grown toms so be it .

• maplerbirch
    14 years ago

Thanks for the encouraging photos. Will be trying something new, next winter. :)

• soozeesully
    14 years ago

Hello everyone!! My name is Susie and Im new to this forum.

I really need some help with starting my seeds. Ive never done this before and am not sure where to begin. I have my seeds all bought, I have my cups, but what type of lighting do I purchase? Do they need to be climate controlled?

We are hosting our family reunion this July and Im a nutcase trying to get the yard jumpstarted. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you and Im looking forward to some great pix this summer!!!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Hi Susie, welcome.

Do you have seed starting media? What kind of seeds did you get?

1. Lighting- I use fluorescent lights. Half the bulbs are warm white, the other half are cool white. This gives the plants plenty of the light spectrum until they see the sun. Keep them about 3 inches above the seedlings.

2. Climate Control- My basement is about 65 degrees and this seems fine. Heating mats may help germination, but I've never used them. If once sprouted the seedlings grow in cooler temps, like 60-65, they will be less spindly.

tj

• dickiefickle
    14 years ago

You don't need any fancy light .Low cost 2 bulb light fixture are $1o.oo at Walmart, Lowe's,or Home depot. And then buy the cheap bulbs. Keep the lights 3 inches or less from seedlings or they will may get "leggy" on you.Personally, I don't think you need more than 10 hours of light per day. Avoid over watering,ensure you have enough drain holes in your cups. As long as they are grown above 50 degrees they will be fine.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Hi Suzie!

I would hop over to the growing from seed forum.

There are lots of us over there and you can search there to find many responses to your questions.

Happy Gardening

Keriann~

• soozeesully
    14 years ago

I'M A MOMMY!!
    Never thought I would be saying THAT again, especially at 40!
    So, I followed everyone's advice, and now have 22 new Moonflower babies!!

Planted April 3 at 11am in peat cups (WalMart) and they were born on the 9th! Yes, the 9th, 6 days later.

NOWWWWWWWW, my question is how do I raise them?
    They have reached the top of the plastic dome that they were born in, and I removed that yesterday. I'm keeping them moist, but with still some vacant peat pods, I'm wondering if I still put the light on them?

My oldest are getting very tall (3inches) and are only carrying 2 leaves.

Any advice as to where I go from here?

I live near Shawano, WI, and our soil is very acidy as we are on the river and surrounded by pine trees.

Thank you all in advance :)

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

soozeesully don't overwater them, let them dry a bit between waterings and water from below.

tj

• ukmuminusa
    14 years ago

Hi I am also new to the forum, and also relatively new to living in Wisconsin, previously I was tending an English garden in England, so weather conditions are completely new to me here and so are sowing times, we just dug a new border in our garden and I hope to grow lots of perennial flowers, so far I have planted:
    Shatsa Daisy (have seed leaves)
    Forget me Knots(as above)
    Echinacae (as above)
    Parsley (doing very well, will have to plant onto another pot)
    Chives (not doing so well 3 small chives out of one seed pack)
    Achillea (sown this evening using the bag method)
    Monarda (as above)
    Lupins
    Columbine (seed leaves peaking through)
    Mixed packet of perennials from walmart (not sure what they are but they have sprouted their first set of leaves)

• sconnielill
    14 years ago

ukmuminusa, where in WI are you? I think it might be a bit too early to plant even perennials from seed. It's still fairly likely that we'll get another frost. I've been holding off on planting my wildflower mixes for that reason. Though it is difficult to resist the temptation of our current fine weather.

Even so, I started some parsley and cilantro already in my sunniest spot and they're doing okay, but slowly.

• ukmuminusa
    14 years ago

sconnielill, I am in La Crosse, I should have said that I planted them inside and they are in the basement, I haven't risked putting anything outside yet, I just wanted to get a bit of a head start and your right it really is difficult to resist the temptation with all this gorgeous weather.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Ukmuminusa- Wow you moved from England! I could never move from there! I do a lot of business in London and I hate leaving everytime :)

Welcome to WI. I hav family up in LaCrosse, that is a beautiful area.

Good luck with your seeds. I have a greenhouse that is bursting with blooms. They are antsy to get outside as much as I am.

I hope the nice weather is here to stay :)

Keriann~

• ukmuminusa
    13 years ago

Keriann thanks for the warm welcome............

• jungseed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

just got word that my tomato seedlings are looking good this year!!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022