Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Did you dig yourself out yet?

kimcoco
13 years ago

I don't remember snowdrifts like this since I was a kid...but everything seemed bigger back then.

My neighbors house had drifts up to his house five feet high...

Our driveway and the city street is waist deep.

Neighbors are blowing their snow over our fence as there's no where else to go with it. The batteries on my camera need to be recharged. I would have liked to take photos before everything was plowed.

Anyone have pics to share?

Comments (8)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

No pix as my home computer is a bit wonky right now. I had those same 4 & 5 foot drifts. And a nice 5 ft high 7 ft wide plug at the end of my driveway from the plows. 18 inches of snow is what I got.

tj

• heartsease
    13 years ago

You had it way worse than we did in central Wisconsin but with the wind we had some good size drifts in the country. It's a real pain to shovel when you have to raise it almost shoulder high to get it on a bank. Wonder where this is all going if we have a quick thaw in the spring!
    Linda

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The only good thing is that it is insulating my plants. My dogs look confused as to why there's a wall of snow in the yard where they like to romp (small chihuahua and boston terriers).

A very sweet generous neighbor who had one of those huge snowblowers went up and down the street helping people out that don't have snowblowers, and some of us who have the smaller ones.

Lets just hope we don't have a one day thaw and a quick freeze.

• luvtosharedivs
    13 years ago

We got 23.5" here in Racine county.
    I am so glad most of the snow blew up and over the roof instead of piling high on it.

How many of you couldn't open your back (or front) door w/o having to push a good amount of snow out of the way? We only had a foot blocking the back door, and only a couple feet blocking the front. My Mom's area between the house and garage had a 6-foot drift. DS and his better half spent several hours plowing out her driveway and shoveling to her door, but had a dickens of a time finding places to dump the snow...looks like she is surrounded by a mountain range now.

Yesterday as I drove along an East-West rural road, I had to pull over occasionally to let on-coming traffic pass, because the road was NO LONGER a two lane route! There are STILL vehicles buried up to their roofs in ditches out here in the county. Wednesday morning and afternoon DH saw several National Guard vehicles rescuing stranded motorists.

I think the county roads have been plowed better/faster than some of the city streets. I made a quick trip to the bank in Racine yesterday, and the intersections are treacherous because you simply can't see around the mountains of snow the plows left! I'm not knocking the plow drivers at all...they simply have nowhere else to put the snow! I'm knocking some of the drivers who think they can still go as fast through the city as when there was dry pavement! Oh, don't get me started!

It was interesting watching the birds surounding the feeders WHILE the blizzard was winding down Wed. morning. There was quite a crowd, I must say. I really need to get out there and refill those feeders, as the birds must be having a tough time scrounging for seeds. I need some hip-high boots, though.

Julie

• heartsease
    13 years ago

I do appreciate the 'white mulch' although in my clay soil I might not be digging until June. I so need to dig by spring! I also don't think we are going to have an early spring which is all right too. I worry when things get off and running ... then we have awful snow and cold like last May. Considering the previous years of drought any moisture is needed yet to replenish the groundwater.
    Sometimes I think people forget just what 'mother nature' can dish out ... this winter is a reminder.
    Kimcoco, my German Shepherd is getting great exercise jumping the banks ... she likes to chase snow when I shovel.
    Julie, I just made a suet run to the meat market ... I have three pileated woodpeckers that make occasional attacks at my feeding station. Oh my. I'm trying to fill the front feeder but it is frozen shut. I'm the only one feeding birds in quite a radius here. Well, except for my neighbor, the hunter, who is feeding turkeys and now we have a flock of over fifty milling around. Mating season in spring is going to be a three ring circus.
    Linda

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The nice thing is the County Sheriff said they wouldn't be issuing citations for parking violations for those whose vehicles are stranded.

I couldn't imagine living through this kind of snowfall on a regular basis.

Heartsease - I've never gotten the real suet from a butcher. I was reading online it is sometimes difficult to find. Wonder if I can get this at my local P-N-S or Sentry or if I should go to a local butcher. And, how much do you pay for it, how long does it keep in the freezer?

My dogs are wimps. One likes running in the snow though she's too timid to climb snowbanks, but the others would rather be in the house in the winter months.

I had a squirrel visiting my feeders on a daily basis before the storm, haven't seen him since though I'm not complaining. It's comical watching him try to negotiate the hanging suet feeder.

Tsuga, I was supposed to come check out your trees awhile back. LOL. I do have a dogwood on order. Still debating on a magnolia, and I did purchase a Serviceberry - actually two of them.

I don't really pay attention to weather patterns...is it just me or is this a colder winter than usual?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Well Kim the invite is still there...if the snow ever melts ;-). As for temps, we've been spoiled. January ended the longest streak in Milwaukee without a below zero temp.

tj

• heartsease
    13 years ago

Where I get my suet they shrink wrap it like a foodsaver would ... I think it is good for two years then. It was $1.50 a pound. I use that until the temperatures are getting well above freezing and then switch to the all temperature seed cakes. Sometimes you can get it at the grocery too.
    I thought they said that it was a colder winter than the past ones because La Nina set up in the Pacific as compared to El Nino which brings warmer winters.
    Linda

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor