Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Chihuahuas and winters do not mix well

kimcoco
16 years ago

Does anyone have problems getting their Chihuahuas (or any dogs) to go outside in the winter? Unfortunately, mine aren't trained to go on paper, and I have such a hard time getting them to go outside in this weather. One of them hides on me when he knows it's time to go out. I have to bundle them up in sweaters - and boots don't seem to stay on their little feet. Their little paws can't handle the cold, and I find that they limp within minutes - so I have to take them out in short increments. They definitely weren't designed for midwest winters!

We just purchased a dogloo (igloo) hoping that they will use this for their potty business outside as it will help with the cold wind gusts, but no such luck yet.

What does everyone else do with their stubborn dogs?

Comments (8)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

I had a basset hound that had trouble when it got below 10. She would start limping after a little while outside. Then I started putting mittens on her feet. Granted, they sometimes started coming off, but at least she had time to do her 'duty'. The snow didn't bother her, she loved playing in it as long as the temps weren't bitter cold. Have you shoveled an area they can go in? With all the snow we've gotten, you could make a little fort area so they're protected from the wind. Have you searched online to see if you can get some small boots that are made for the small dogs like yours?
    Hope you get some solutions!

Kat

• turquoise
    16 years ago

I have huskies so my only problem is getting them to come INside. They don't seem to understand why I don't want to go to dog park when it's 10 below (but do anyway).

I hope you figure something out, poor little guys!

• mgmb
    16 years ago

I just had a "home inspection" as a requirement for adopting a rescue dog - he's a one year old Peke/Tibetan Spaniel, and I was wondering what he would do in my backyard glacier if I brought him home soon! The rescue people that came over have italian greyhounds and basenjis and they said they despise the booties! I'm wondering if my new guy will want to wade into the snow. Does anyone have problems with salt harming their dog's paws - it gets spread very heavily here.
    Mary Beth

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Mary Beth,

My DH just brought home a new product called "Safer Than Salt", which is supposed to be safe for pets. Of all places, he found it at "Bed, Bath, and Beyond", and it's pricey - $7.99 for a 10 pound plastic jug.

You might be able to Google search for a supplier near you. Around here it's almost impossible to find any kind of salt. As soon as a store sets it out on pallets, all bags/containers are gone in a couple of hours.

We have a 500' glare ice driveway (what fun to drive on!)
    I snapped this photo this morning of our neighbor girls and my dog having some winter fun on this ice. If I would have snapped this pic one second later, you would have seen my dog jump over the girls.

{{gwi:1351799}}

BTW, you can rinse your dog's paws off in a bowl of warm water, after walking around on the "other" salt.

Julie

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

Yes Kimcoco, I can understand your poor chichu's dilemma.
    Is it possible to plan ahead and make a temp shelter away from the wind before the storms hit? When it is really bitterly cold, maybe even in the garage? Lined with paper of course.
    I am lucky that my little bichon loves the snow and rolls around in it. However, now that the snowbanks are high, he has no where to go poops, so I do have to provide a shoveled place for him. My yardman who mows and shovels also puts down some salt, so I usually pick up my pup and rinse his paws after a winter outing, like Julie suggested.
    Wow, Julie, that is one scarry sheet of glare ice. How on earth do you manage? If thats a gravel base drive, you can have a thin coat of more gravel laid over the ice.

You will find a solution Kimcoco. Perhaps ask other Chichuaua owners in the midwest how they cope.
    Pondy

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When it snows, we shovel out an area of the yard for them to use. Right now, the surrounding snow is about 3 1/2 feet high - provides some shelter from the wind.

I try the garage (unattached garage which makes late night potty breaks somewhat of a task), but only one of my chi's will do his business there.

We use the pet safe salt - I usually find this at Petco, Pet World, or probably any pet retailer will sell it. But, if we walk them around the neighborhood (usually just my Australian Cattledog this time of year), I rinse their feet off when we get back home since the typical rock salt isn't good for their paws.

My chihuahuas sunning themselves:

{{gwi:1351801}}

Can you believe we just got back from this...

{{gwi:1351803}}

Now...

{{gwi:1351805}}

{{gwi:1351807}}

• mr.mader
    16 years ago

Me & my Wife just got a 5 pound male Chihuahua from the Humane Society............ He don't like the cold either, we have a jacket for him. Chihuahua's are differnt! He limps too when his feet get cold, only a few mins outside he starts hopping on 3 leggs............ he came house trained & is really good at it. We both work days & He never makes a mess............ also, he almost never Barks. Only when are Cat bothers him.

• newhostaaddict
    16 years ago

pugs don't like it below 10 degrees either...

you have to wait till they REALLY have to go...

and then she STILL has to find the RIGHT spot...

can't wait till spring....jill

Sponsored