Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turquoise_gw

Suggestions for perennial in narrow strip?

turquoise
16 years ago

Hi, I have two 12" wide strips along my front walk that always look a little bare. They get about 4 hours of morning sun. Can someone suggest a compact perennial that I might put in that area? I'd love something that's relatively easy to start from seed to save money. The area isn't close to the rain barrel or hose, so something low maintenance once established would be nice too. They lead up to a larger bed with taller plants, so I think something shorter would be ideal. I'm in Zone 5. Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (5)

• Rachel_WI_5
    16 years ago

I have the perfect perennial for you to put in your narrow strips. It's the primrose. They are the first to bloom in spring and come in a variety of colors. They are never more than a foot around and only grow about 6 to 8 inches tall. Planted a foot or so apart, you'll have a beautiful rainbow of colors every spring and a neat mound of pretty green plants the rest of the year. Primroses grow in shade to semi-shade, but can withstand the morning sun, also. In a few years they can be divided into many more plants if you dig the whole clump and carefully pull them apart. I've divided some of mine into 6 or more plants. Every year I have to find new places to plant the divisions. They are very hardy, too, and easily withstand our Wisconsin winters.

• milwdave
    16 years ago

The short Sedum spurium cultivars would be my choice. They are very drought tolerant and should be fine with a few hours of sun. Easily propagated by cuttings so find someone who has it and I'm sure they'd be happy to share some.:) Or..buy about 10 plants and start cuttings of your own.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• turquoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions!

Rachel, I've never grown primrose, it's a beautiful plant! I love the colors I've seen. Thank you for the idea!

Dave, I actually have dragon's blood sedum in the backyard where it's been establishing itself for a few years. It's a great plant, very tough and I like the look of it. I never thought to take cuttings! Excellent (free) idea!

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

Geraniums, (Wargrave pink), festuca (Elijah Blue or other blue grass)Lambsear, Pinks, Heuchera, any small hosta, all these will grow in most any soil. Many other shade lovers like fringed bleeding heart and Primula, require lots of moisture. Dave has the right idea if you want no/low maintenance with the sedum family.

Another idea is to go for a two color look and plant grape hyacinth for a solid blue border in spring, then pop in annual white allysium in june for the fragrent and beautiful mounds. They readily self sead, and often winter over for me. Then in fall, the grape hyacinth comes up again to make a grass-like foliage.

If you are able to widen this 12 in strip, the choices would increase. Pondy

• turquoise
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oooh, sounds beautiful Pondy, thanks! I probably could widen it, all of my beds seem to gradually take over the lawn anyway.