Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wirosarian_z4b_wi

biochar

wirosarian_z4b_WI
12 years ago

Anyone have any experience with this product?---there is a dairy farm in western WI that is now selling this product. Below is a link to a GW rose forum post that I started on this topic also but I thought I'd post it here also because of a WI source, maybe someone here has had expierence with biochar. TIA Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: biochar on rose forum

Comments (11)

• maplerbirch
    12 years ago

I've gotten messages from my anti-virus program saying that they isolated the "threat" that came from the biochar link on the Rose Forum.
    I've been playing with charcoal for years just to see if I learn anything about how well it works.
    Is there a 'safe' website that might have the same information? :)

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My anti-virus program didn't react to the link---it is for "Cowsmo Compost"---try & google Cowsmo Compost & see if it still triggers your anti-virus program. They only have one video link re bio-char so nothing really different from what I've found searching the web. Another reason I posted the link is, they are the first source of the of biochar that I've seen in my part of the state---they are located just north Waumandee, WI (between La Crosse & Eau Claire). I've got some additional info from them that they are not making the bio-char themselves & there is some compost added to what they sell so it has some nutrient value. I'm planning on driving done there in Apr to buy some & try it on my roses.

• maplerbirch
    12 years ago

I did get through this time and their compost makes perfect sense.
    The biochar was only the video, and I didn't find out anything about their operation. Does Cowsmo make biochar and mix it with their compost?

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The info I got back from them was---they are buying the product at the present time to see if they can build a big enough market to make it worth investing in the equipment to make bio-char.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

maplerbirch, I have a question for you since you have been expermenting with charcoal---some of the discussions about biochar indicate that it may raise your pH like wood ashes but the person at Cowsmo said he had no info about the pH effects of the product he was selling---have you observed any pH changes with your tests or seen any info that says pH is significantly changed when using biochar? TIA Larry

• maplerbirch
    12 years ago

I was lead to believe that charcoal was pH neutral, and pH didn't seem to be any kind of factor.
    My experiment was limitted to innoculating, then mixing with compost/vermiculite for potting soils. I was interested to see if potted plants could thrive w/out additional fertilizers.

Since I have such a large % of OM, it would be expected that any pH issues would be buffered.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Below is a link to the best article I've found so far on bio-char, p.3 has some info on pH.

Here is a link that might be useful: bio-char link

• maplerbirch
    12 years ago

That is a good article on the subject. It is good to understand that char goes through changes until it is settled and they did a very good job of expressing that.

Interesting that it starts out alkaline , but once it 'fills up' with nutrients and microbes the pH neutralizes. So char's pH is a non-issue, according to this article. Is that what you got out of it?

First time I heard the "MM' reference. :)

• lomodor
    11 years ago

ive read some on biochar and i like what ive read on its
    uses in gardening.. im going to buy some next spring..
    seems best way to apply is using with compost..and/or with compost tea..then apply to soil..as i guess the biochar
    will soak up nutrients and hold it..?? yes??
    still learning here..so appreciate any thoughts/insights
    thanks

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was going to buy & try some biochar last spring but just didn't get the time to go pick some up so can't offer any personal observations...maybe next spring. The link I posted to Hawaii Biochar changed... below is a new link to that article:

Here is a link that might be useful: U of Hawaii article

• maplerbirch
    11 years ago

This winter I'm grinding up real charcoal wood, not the briquettes, and mixing them with horse manure, turning it into a potting soil of its own.
    I'll let yu know if the potting soil grows anything latter on. :)

Sponsored
TR Granite & Stone Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Countertop in Loudoun County, VA