Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justaguy2

how you liking the snow?

justaguy2
17 years ago

Sheesh. A nice warm week and most of the snow melted. I could see grass and the gardens. Containers were again uncovered. My mind turned to the spring chore list and I was contemplating what I should start doing.

Then I woke up and realized I was in Wisconsin. 8" of snow overnight and another 8 or so forecast for this evening.

I can no longer see my lawn and gardens.

I guess the spring chores can wait ;-)

Comments (19)

• greenbeans
    17 years ago

I know! I was actually thinking about poking around my compost pile a bit... Now, I can't see my compost pile.

This means I can turn my attention to putting up the basement grow lights so I'm ready to get the parsely started indoors next week. (can't wait to make tabouleh with my own parsely, tomatoes, cucumbers, and green onions this year!)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    17 years ago

I'm with you two! Just a couple of days ago I was telling people most of the roofs around here were free of snow and you could see some nice patches of green (well close to green)lawns. Now everything is covered again. I work on Saturdays until 10:45pm. Well, our boss was nice enough to tell us when one of the important job was done, we could go home. Of course it was without pay, unless we wanted to use vacation time, but it's the thought that counted. I got out at 8pm and the roads were starting to get bad. But I'm really glad I got out that early. It was a mess by 11pm.
    Anyone get any thunder and lightning? We have. Really bright flashes of lightning. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere on Sunday. Hubby and I will shovel, then stay nice and warm in the house. :)
    Hope you all stay safe and warm!

Kat

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

I like it - it's still February and my area hasn't had much snow. Although I'd prefer it didn't all come in one day, we really needed it.

The snow is past the belly of one of my dogs. When he was coming back into the garage, he just stopped and looked at me as if he was bewildered, or maybe that was exhaustion. lol

• luvtosharedivs
    17 years ago

Hi All....
    Down here in Racine county, we got more sleet than snow. (Although there was still plenty of snow on the ground from Fri. night.) Our forcast is for snow/rain/ice mix today until 6 P.M. The heavy wet mix could cause power lines to come down. That's what I fear. I would take 20" of snow over a power outage any day!

Stay safe and warm, everyone~

Julie

• Hosta_Haven
    17 years ago

On Wednesday our deck was dry. This morning it looked like this. By the way, that is Wisconsin's largest black cherry tree in the background...

{{gwi:1351726}}

Here, the snow on our deck is almost up to the window!

{{gwi:887428}}

• justaguy2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Love the pictures, that's a gorgeous set of doors/windows, Hosta-haven.

The snow here is my corner of Dodge County was quite wet and heavy making my small snow blower seem like a toy rather than a tool. Finally got the driveway cleared, but it was more work than any previous snowfall this year.

At least my deck didn't have any snow on it. The wind direction resulted it in all blowing off rather than accumulating on it, so I had that going for me ;-)

• noinwi
    17 years ago

We got about a foot here in Cumberland, with some drifts a little higher. Supposed to get a few more inches tonight. I'm fuming because our apartment management(in another city) hasn't given us access to the snow blower in the shed here. The tenants(most elderly and disabled) are having to shovel the walk out front. I guess they're not worried about the liability of someone hurting themselves. They pay a plow guy to come in to plow the parking lot, but he sort of shows up when he feels like it. It's very frustrating...thanks for letting me vent. But...our dog is loving it! :D

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

Last night the TV forecast was calling for "thundersnow" in southern Wisconsin - the first time I've actually heard them predict that! We have well over a foot already in Oshkosh, with more on the way tonight.

But this is good news for all of the garlic, elephant garlic, and bunching onions that are over-wintering in my garden... not to mention that we have had semi-drought here, and _any_ precipitation is welcome. Plus, I am melting pails of snow for seed starting next month.

• heartsease
    17 years ago

I am loving it! It's been way too dry this winter and this is going to help the garden in spring. It is amazing how the landscape can be drastically changed in a day.

• putzer
    17 years ago

It's beautiful! We got 18 inches or so. I can't imagine how it was for those people in New York that got so much more....

• micasher
    17 years ago

I'm loving it!! It's beautiful, and much needed. I see there is more snow forecasted later this week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

• turquoise
    17 years ago

I haven't heard the total here in Madison yet, but it was easily over a foot, maybe two! By last week I could see almost all of my garden, now it's completely buried again! It's pretty but I've had enough.

• elvis
    17 years ago

It sure is pretty, and here in 'The Snowmobile Capital of the World', we need it. Got about a foot so far here in Eagle River. What I'm really digging is the warm temps--the past few weeks have been brutal, with -20! Brrrr.

More WS tonight...

Constance.

• Hosta_Haven
    17 years ago

As of yesterday, my son thought we received 18" in the Madison, WI area...but I think we got another 2-3" since then...and it is still snowing...

Char

• mary_lu_gw
    17 years ago

Yup the same here in the southwestern part of the state. 20-23 inches of snow. And yes we did have thunder snow, lightening too! Really was weird to look out the window and see flashes of lightening then followed by thunder, all the while it was snowing. Here's a couple pics I took during and after.
    {{gwi:1351834}}

{{gwi:56788}}

{{gwi:637923}}
    Marylu

• justaguy2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

such beautiful pictures everyone! I love them all. So nice to see images of what others see everyday and how you all have made them beautiful to look at.

• elvis
    17 years ago

Well, keep those shovels (and cameras) handy, all. It's baaaack...

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    17 years ago

We were supposed to get mostly sleet and rain tonite because we're so close to Lake Michigan. They lied...we got just snow. The roads were fine tonite though. Everything is nice and white again. It is pretty windy out though. The weather report says there's a chance of snow every day thru the weekend at least. But I don't think it's suppose to amount to much.
    Keep those cameras clicking!

Kat

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    17 years ago

Hi love it too,
    Sorry to those of you that don't. I hope we get piles more.
    Well, I am a skier, showshower and this is the first time the snowmobile trails have been open here in Marathon Co. all year.
    But it's really good for the garden too. We really needed the moisture and it will keep things from sprouting too early if we get some warm snaps.
    I was walking the long walk into work from the car the other day (the hospital puts the parking lots far away because of the theory that the walk is good for you. Fine most of the time but not if it is below zero or above 90 deg) Well, everyone came in complaining, and I just couldn't believe it. I spent the whole walk hipnotized by the beautyful sparkly snow.
    Catrina

Sponsored