Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondwelr

bleeding heart

pondwelr
14 years ago

I recently saw the web site of a gardening company that was new to me, called Great Gardens, out of Holland, MI.

They have this lovely new Dicentra called Burning Hearts

that I lust after. Also a prolifically blooming Heuchera

that would look great in my small front island bed.

Has anyone dealt with this company?

Supposedly, the dicentra blooms for 5 months, is a deep ruby red color and has blue/silver foliage. Really lovely.

And, hardy to zone 3.

Please let me know your thoughts on this company before I send out for some of their 'dream plants'. I will attach a link. Pondy

Here is a link that might be useful: new dicentra

Comments (11)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Send me an email Pondy.

tj

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I have had bad luck ordering through the mail from three different companies and said to myself "Never again!"

I have found that if you are willing to wait a bit, the local garden centers will eventually get in the new releases when they are not so new anymore. They are also cheaper when they show up at the local places for sale. They will have a track record by then.

That new Bleeding Heart looks lovely but I am wondering if the dark color will really brighten up a shady spot.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    14 years ago

I wait at least 2 yrs before I buy any 'new' kind of plant. I have been burned several times over the years, and I'm tired of it. All the promises etc. of how great it is. If I really like it I'll check it out here at GW and see what other gardeners say about it. I seldom ever order online. The only exceptions are hostas. I buy from a trusted nursery. I go along with what Dilly-Dally says. It'll come to our local centers eventually and it'll probably come down in price.

Kat

• maplerbirch
    14 years ago

The Michigan Bulb Company, was out of Holland, MI; if I remember correctly. Possible new name?

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have decided to go ahead and try this new plant. Unlike some of you, I've had wonderful luck with Jungs out of Randolf, WI.

Will let you know if it perform as advertized.
    Pondy

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Keep us posted for sure. I know I would be excited to learn about this new Burning Heart.

• luvtosharedivs
    14 years ago

Now you have me drooling, Pondy.
    A Bleeding Heart that blooms all summer, into fall!
    I love the fern-leafed cultivars.

Here is a review of the Dicentra:
    Greenhouse Product News

Thanks for the link, Pondy!

Julie

• postal_blonde
    14 years ago

I knew I had seen that plant in an email recently had to check to make sure. Brecks carries it new this year. it is going for $20 at their site. was thinking of ordering. Cost more but Breck is a reliable company. Not sure who else is going to carry it.. says bloom time mid spring to frost. you get 2-3 eye roots. zone 4 ships in april.
    I have ordered alot with Brecks and had no problems

• leftwood
    14 years ago

The cute shape of the flower and blue green color of the foliage come from the D. peregrina parentage. As such you may find that it needs better drainage than other Dicentra's and may flounder in hot temps. I don't know if this will be true or not, but given the alpine home of D. peregrina, you might want to keep this in mind.

• elvis
    14 years ago

VanBourgondien has it for $18.99...

• dupperdog
    14 years ago

Bluestone Perennials has it in their catalog at $12.95. I am planning to order it. Old fashioned bleeding heart does great here so am curious about this new type.