Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heartsease_gw

Green Bay area nurseries

heartsease
17 years ago

I am going to be doing most of my garden shopping in the Green Bay area instead of Madison this spring and am looking for suggestions. I have been to Canterbury Farms, House of Hosta (think it is called something else now), Rosehill, Solaris Farms and of course, Stein's. Would appreciate any tips!

Linda

Comments (7)

• jackbenny
    17 years ago

Well it depends on what you're looking to buy. Veggies? flowers? Trees? I would recommend Mayflower, it's west out past Austin Straubel airport. There is another large nursery west of Green Bay on HWY 29. I don't know the name, but they are well worth checking out as well. It'll be hard to avoid the Shroeder's Floral(not certain of the spelling) as they set up all over Green Bay during the summer. And I assume you are accustomed to Jung's since you shopped in the Madison area. The closest one is in Steven's Point.

• heartsease
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, jackbenny ... I'll make note of Mayflower and Shroeder's. As for what I buy ... I buy everything! I guess the only thing that I'm not really looking for is houseplants. I've a van so even trees and shrubs can come home with me. Sometimes it's hard to see through the leaves though.

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Even though it's not exactly in the Green Bay area, I would also recommend Thistledown in Bonduel. I live in Appleton and many times have made the treck from Thistledown to Mayflower and the other Green Bay nurseries. It really isn't that far, and well worth the trip. I also highly recommend Mayflower, especially for unusual annuals. House of Hosta/Scienic view is my favorite!

• bigcityal
    17 years ago

I will go along with Schroeder's and Mayflower. They are the best in the valley for perennials. I actually don't buy a lot of plants at Stein's, but they are great for seasonal stuff like bulbs. Amazingly enough I buy most of my shrubs at Fleet Farm - they always have newer stuff that suprises you.

• heartsease
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, everyone ... just did a scouting expedition in GB last weekend. Mayflower looks great but isn't open until mid-April, Green Bay Nursery was under renovation so couldn't pop in there but went to Stein's for a couple of things. Fleet Farm has had some very nice things, especially in hostas. I understand that they get their stock from a nursery in Minnesota so should be good in Wisconsin. I'll definitely check out Thistledown.

• upnortdareh
    17 years ago

Greetings- With all this talk about buying plants. Don't forget to support your Ma & Pa greenhouses and nurseries. Otherwise your kids and grandkids will never know where real quality plants come from. Just a thought "Upnortdareh"

• chucklette
    17 years ago

Try Plantscapers in Luxemburg, 20 minutes east of Green Bay. Visit their website at theplantscapers.com for directions. Great perennials, hostas, natives, trees and shrubs.

Sponsored