Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Day Neutral Strawberries

Posted by greenbeans Southern WI (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 23:34

Hi everyone -

I'm attempting strawberries for the first time this spring and will be planting them in strawberry pots and hanging baskets. Does anyone have recommendations for a good place to get good strawberry plants, around Madison? Bare root or in pots are equally good.

Or, has anyone started them from seed? Tips?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Day Neutral Strawberries

greenbeans, I never heard of growing strawberries in pots...interesting. My first thought is: What do you plan to do with them in winter?

I've also never known anyone to start them from seed...I'd say buy plants. Jung and Gurney both are reliable sources for these. You can place your order now and they will ship at the appropriate time for you. Jung also has several stores here in Wisconsin--Point and Randolph come to mind.

Good luck, and do let us know how this works out :)

o
RE: Growing Day Neutral Strawberries

Thanks for the response, Elvis. You can definitely grow them in containers (that's what strawberty pots are for). I think you just plant them in the spring, harvest throughout summer (unless you get june-bearing), and don't expect them to survive the winter. :) You just end up treating them like annuals, basically.

there was at least one variety on the Jung's website that was listed as good for container growth, but that's about all I know. So, it'll be an experiment this summer. Fingers crossed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here