Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlsch

lupine success

jlsch
18 years ago

Just wondering if any of you have had success with growing lupine. I just love the flower, but from reading about it, it sounds like it can be tricky, and that perhaps our area is too humid. What has been your experience?

Comments (36)

• putzer
    18 years ago

I grew it once-it acted like a biennial. It's anyone's guess if it will show up this year. It really was beautiful, I just wish it would have bloomed longer.

• aspen
    18 years ago

I think it depends on the type of lupine you have. I have started seeds from some of the hybrids to have them die off in a year or two. but we received some seeds as part of a wild flower plot that we started about 10 years ago and they are going strong and spreading like crazy. They are mostly the purple variety but there are a few whites, pinks, and reds in them. Anyone wanting seeds this summer, let me know and I'll supply them for you. (yes we have that many). When they are all in bloom it is beautiful.

Colleen

• elvis
    18 years ago

I have oodles of it; it is indeed a biennial. Mine is wild, large, and purple, pink, white, yellow (the purple is in several shades). Mine is in partial sun, well-drained soil. Weeds do not overcome it :)

Anyone who wants seed; I have it from '05 season--LMK via email! Start it indoors and transplant in spring.

Constance.

• jlsch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Colleen, Do you know if the wild ones had a specific name - I'm assuming they are not Russell's? Also, did you have any special soil or light conditions that you think were helpful?

• aspen
    18 years ago

The Lupines I have are not Russell's. I am going to have to dig through all my old notes when I have more time and see if they gave a name. They were sold as part of a prairie restoration mix along with cone flowers, daisy's, black eyed susans, and liatris. As for soil, ours ranges from sand to heavy clay, and the light ranges from full sun to mostly shade. They don't seem to be biennial because when I find a plant with a color I like I replant it into the yard and they have continued to bloom every year for me. I also dead head the ones in the yard to have a second bloom from them, then I deadhead those to keep the flower gardens looking less shabby. Maybe that's why they bloom every year. If I can come up with a name, I'll let you know.
    Constance it sounds like you and I have the same variety. Where did you get yours?

Colleen

• elvis
    18 years ago

Colleen, I dug them up from a roadside meadow up here. They are very tough hombres! They do seem to be biennial; first year they are relatively small and do not bloom. After that, though, they bloom every year. So is that biennial? I really don't pay much attention to them; they're on their own--when they get too thick I simply chuck them into the woods where they root quickly and keep on truckin'.

Sound like yours?

Constance.

• jlsch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Constance, If you ever decide to chuck them in the woods, let me know - you could chuck them my way instead. I'm so envious. I keep hearing the difficulties with growing them and they are one of my favorite flowers...blah. I'll try the Russells for now, and hope to run across a more native/wild kind. Thanks for the responses! Jean

• aspen
    18 years ago

Constance, they do sound exactly like the ones I have. They spread like crazy, and are very hardy.
    Jean, if you get up into the Wausau area this spring at all, let me know. I can always dig up some plants for you.

Colleen

• elvis
    18 years ago

Ditto what Colleen said, Jean. In fact, Wausau would be a good place for a plant swap...could fit a Sam's run in there :)

Con.

• stumpie
    18 years ago

Lupinus perennis is a native self-seeding perennial that grows all over this area. It is an important plant for the Karner Blue butterfly. It grows really well in freshly cleared areas. It likes a decent amount of sun and sandy, well drained soil. This particular Lupine has very deep tap roots and doesn't like to be disturbed, once it's established. Like all new seedlings, it should get regular watering to start. After the first season, it should sow freely, and require little care. This is a plant that would be happiest in a naturalized setting with little competition for root space. Dead heading should help overpopulation issues. Good Luck.

• putzer
    18 years ago

Great information, stumpie!

Have you all seen this one? It's gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1351870}}

• aspen
    18 years ago

Beautiful plant Putzer! Is this in your yard?
    Thanks for all the information Stumpie! It should help others get an established plot in their locations.
    A plant swap this spring sounds great to me. Count me in.

Colleen

• jlsch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your insights/info and offers! I appreciate it!

• putzer
    18 years ago

I WISH that was in my yard! But alas, it was from a catalog.

• elvis
    18 years ago

Good info, Stumpie, thanks! Isn't it ironic that the Karner Blue likes lupine which likes to grow in open areas, and yet the presence of the Karner Blue has actually prevented logging because the logging 'might disturb their presence'? It's like, what came first, the chicken or the egg, LOL.

It's true that lupine has quite the tap root, like oriental poppies and peonies and 4 O's; however, as long as you keep that in mind, moving them is no problem. Speaking of the 4 O's, is anyone besides me overwintering the roots inside? Any success come spring?

Constance.

• philosopher
    18 years ago

Hi--I have grown the non-hybrid blue variety in dappled shade next to my garage for years. I add 3" of compost every spring after it emerges and it self sows year after year.

Elvis--don't want to be a downer, but should you be digging wild plants out of their native habitat? I always thought that was a no-no.

• aspen
    18 years ago

I always have been told that digging plants from the ditches along a road was okay. In our area the county comes along and kills all the trees, and brush along the roadside, then mows everything within 10' to keep the roads safe for drivers. I'v seen some beautiful native flowers mown down this way. Not sure on the legality, but I also don't see the harm if they're in the path of the mower.

Colleen

• elvis
    18 years ago

Good morning, philosopher! Thanks for the input. As far as I can ascertain, lupine is not considered threatened. endangered, or rare in Wisconsin, although it is considered so in some states. It is, however, considered invasive in some situations. All I can say is I'll take good care of it, and make sure it doesn't get out of control; thanks again for the 'heads up'.

Have a good week,

Constance.

• newgrdenrmn
    18 years ago

I believe you need to put the seeds in the freezer for a few weeks before you try to start them. They need a good cold spell before the germinate. After that I am not sure what to do! I actually sprinkled the seeds in one of my gardens last fall, I will let you know how it goes.

• aspen
    18 years ago

The lupine seeds we had for our prairie restoration lay dormant for the first year. They came up the following year, and bloomed the year after that. It was summer that we finally planted them so they must have needed that cold spell. Don't be discouraged if you don't get blooms this summer newgrdenrmn.

Colleen

• elvis
    18 years ago

Good morning, all! Here's what Thompson & Morgan's Successful Seed Raising guide says about lupin (that's apparently how they spell it in England):

15 - 60 days to germination; germination temp 55 - 65 F in well drained compost, 1/8" deep. Chip and soak (24 hours in water that starts out hot). Doesn't say anything about cold stratification...

Hope this is helpful. I WS'd some and will start some indoors (not my wild ones; they spread by runners and self sowing).

Con.

• flwrpowr
    18 years ago

Hi_

I've had good success starting the Russel lupines from seed. I sow the seeds by just tossing them on the ground preferrably in late summer but you could winter sow now if they've been chilled. If you sow in several locations they will probably come up in the place that they should be left in.

It's essential to keep them out of direct sun when they are young but they can withstand it when mature. They do well in evenly moist soil but once established have grown nicely in dry ground. Much pickier than the wild lupine. You won't have to worry about them taking over.

Some people have luck storing the seeds in a freezer like newgrdenrmn said. That helps soften the shell. If you start them indoors you need to nick them. What's that called again? I think you'll have good luck if you sowed them last fall and have had some snow over them. They won't bloom the first year but they do have such cute foliage when they are little.

• gardeningmomof3
    18 years ago

I went to Wal-mart today. They have Lupines there packaged for planting for I belive Under $2.00. Anyway it was right next to the sea Holly I purchased for $1.88. I peaked in the bag to make sure it (Sea Hollly) was good. Had nice green leaves! We'll see later how it looks when its actual time to plant. Now I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a lupine. Its what I really wanted to begin with. Just with the knowing its (Lupine)hard to start I debated and got the Sea Holly. What is the bloom period for Lupine? I may just have to go back another day and get one. LOL

• flwrpowr
    18 years ago

Hi gardeningmomof3_ They start blooming in early June if I remember correctly. Do you have a grow light to hold them until it's warmer?

I haven't had much luck with the plants I bought
    -but I think it's because when I first tried growing them I wasn't so careful with location. The plant you buy may not bloom this year.

• gardeningmomof3
    18 years ago

Well I did go out and buy one.(Lupine) Now, my question is, do I just leave it twist tied in the bag and do nothing, til its time to plant outdoors or open it and keep an eye on it and water if necessary? Have no grow light.

This time I grabbed a butterfly plant right away too. :) Now all I need is a couple of pink and blue pincushion and I'll be set. Hee hee.

• flwrpowr
    18 years ago

Hi gardeningmomof3

You may want to put both plants into the next sized pot. I put a bamboo stick in the plants I winter inside and drape plastic over them loosely to allow for air circulation. I set them in a box lined with a plastic table cloth and on boot trays. Make sure the lupine gets plenty of sunlight and is kept evenly moist (not wet). Find a moist spot to plant your lupine and acclimate before planting outside in maybe 7-8 weeks. I hope it works for you. Let us know!

• luvzpansies
    18 years ago

I haven't seen many lupines south of Green Bay! Is it too warm here? they are a very pretty plant and grow wild in the U.P chris

• elvis
    18 years ago

I think you can grow them, Chris. Want some seed for the 'wild' ones?

• march
    18 years ago

Hi everyone!
    I think you gave me the lupine bug! If you believe that SW Wisconsin folks like me can grow them, I'll give them a try. Anyone up for sharing some seeds? I have lots of sun, good mulch, and a drip system woven into my berm. Does this sound like a good home for them? Would love to hear from someone!

• aspen
    18 years ago

Hi March,
    I can get you some young plants from my wild ones. They're easier to transplant, and will flower next year. I should start to see them up in the next week or two. Are you anywhere near the Wausau area? Or I could try mailing them next day postage. My e-mail address is waumine@yahoo.com if you are interested.
    Colleen

• flwrpowr
    18 years ago

Hi march,

Didn't save any seeds over but I could harvest seeds from this years crop of Russel hybrids when they are ready. I'll be glad to share when the time comes if you are still interested. Like aspen said they take two years to bloom _so you may want to buy a seed packet for this year. The hybrids do not transplant well.

Looks like we're neighbors. I just uncovered everything and now find out it's down to 25 tomorrow night :( I kick myself for doing this every year!

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

I love lupines. I seem to have them return to my garden every year and have had luck with winter sowing them. I think weather they are a short lived perenial or a biennial, it is not the same plants comming up every year. Just have to be careful to leave the seedlings and not cover them with mulch. I think you can move them when they are bigger, but they don't mind as much if you do it when they are seedlings. I have had problems with them turning black and ugly after they bloom, maybe this is normal if they are acting as biennials. Anyone else seen this happen. Is it normal or is it some sort of disease?
    Catrina

• flwrpowr
    18 years ago

Hi catrina!

I still have descendants of the alpine lupines you gave me. With all my lupines (alpine or hybrid) the flower head turns black before the seed pod ripens and pops.

I usually cut off the seed head (except on one plant which I harvest when the seeds rattle inside the pod) and remove the yellow brown leaves. Fresh foliage grows back.

My mature plants usually don't die during the growing season. They just don't come back in the spring. I think the same plant can flower a couple of years though.

• hgreenesmith
    12 years ago

Am new at flower tending. I planted 5 lupine plants last spring and they were beautiful. This year I couldn't find them coming up. Of course I don't really know what to look for either. Does this probably mean that they died over the winter? They were guaranteed, but who knows what I did with the receipt? I'm not sure if I should go buy more or not. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

• gardeningmomof3
    12 years ago

hgreenesmith,
    hope you didn't give up on em. Mine are peeking through now, one is up quite well other is just peeking through. I thought got em all dug out last year, however, some must of reseeded.

Sponsored