Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elvis_gw

Planted toms last night

elvis
18 years ago

Red letter day! I planted the toms last night! This will be interesting, as all varieties are from '05 GW trades. I'll post a progress report, if anyone's interested. Off the top of my head, here's what I planted:

'Rose'

'Cherokee Yellow'

'Japanese Black Trifilo'

'Evergreen'

'Amana Orange'

'Persimmon'

'Black Plum'

'Germain White Beefsteak'

'Black Prince'

'Carolina Gold'

And one more I can't recall right now. Goal is 12 different species, one plant each (I have 12 cages); one plant coming from Mom just to make her feel good :)

Anyone else started toms? Or anything else indoors?

Con.

Comments (21)

• daddylonglegs
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cool!
    I planted mine about 2 weeks ago, everything is about 4-5" tall and healthy.
    Planted
    'Rose'
    'Cherokee Purple'
    'Great White Beefsteak'
    'Black Prince'
    'Carolina Gold'
    'Opalka'
    All from GW trades in the last few weeks. Haven't grown any of these varieties before, what was your experience with them?
    Also started peppers such as Poblano, red bell, cherry, jalapeno, banana.
    When will you plant outside?

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

What do you 2 do with all those tomatoes?! I'm only planting 2 this year. One large kind and 1 yellow cherry kind. I've had more in the past, but they just go to waste. They have so many tomatoes on them. I don't start by seed. I buy all my plants in early May. Just don't have the room in the house to start flowers and veggies by seed.
    Good luck with yours!

Kat

• aspen
    18 years ago

Spring is coming, even if it's only 15 degrees and we're buried in snow! I started some perenniels and annuals last weekend, Gaura, miniature roses, snapdragons, dwarf dahlias, and impatiens. This weekend I'm starting tomatoes, celery, and peppers.

• User
    18 years ago

I started a bunch two weeks ago...I have never started from seed before and have limited space so I only started two kinds of tomatoes, "Yellow Pear" and "Mortgage Lifter". I also started basil, cilantro, chives and asparagus. Wish me luck...

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Daddylonglegs, I haven't grown ANY of these before, so I can't say. Hopefully, another poster can. BTW, put yourself on the thread with the map, okay? It's fun to see where we all are. I see you and & I are growing a few of the same kind. It would be interesting to compare notes later--

Good morning, Kat! What will I do with all these toms? Can whatever I don't eat fresh or share, LOL. Last season I ran out of quart jars, and thought I'd just check the canning pantry and take inventory. When I counted 40 quarts I realized I didn't need more jars; I needed to share fresh tomatoes. My neighbors and co-workers were happy to help out :)

aspen, I think I'll start some flowers this week, too. Are you really growing celery? I heard it had to be grown in muck. Is that true?

junebug, good luck! Those chives will spread nicely once they go to seed this summer--you'll never have to plant them again. I've heard 'Mortgage Lifter' is a good tomato. Wonder where it got its name?

Thanks for posting, all. Happy spring!

Con.

• daddylonglegs
    18 years ago

Elvis, I'm in Waukesha. Not sure what you mean about the map. I am interested in Mortgage Lifter, I debated between that and Opalka. This time I'll try Opalka, next year I'll try ML. My Opalka plants don't seem as strong as my other plants and didn't germinate as well either.

Aspen, what's the trick on starting impatiens indoors? I haven't been able to do it.

Kat, regarding what to do with all of them, I started with just a few plants years ago but I can never seem to get enough. What I don't eat right away I mostly crush, remove some water, and freeze for sauce. Also stew and jar a few, make tons of salsa, feed the chipmunks by default.

Has anyone been using Wall-O-Water for planting early?
    I have been for years now and they work great! Plant in April, eating ripe tomatoes in July. I should get an endorsement deal with them.

• gardeningmomof3
    18 years ago

Started perrenials and annuals this last week . Some of what was planted is up already, carnations, sweet William, Unwin dwarf Dahlia, marigold, delphiniums,viola johnny jump ups,allysum, hosta,Malva braveheart,and petunia's, just a to name a few that I can remember. Plus I started a few more seeds today. Figured I might as well seeing how winter won't leave yet. UUUgggh! Spring is just around the corner, as soon as one of us finds the right corner! LOL

• User
    18 years ago

junebug, good luck! Those chives will spread nicely once they go to seed this summer--you'll never have to plant them again. I've heard 'Mortgage Lifter' is a good tomato. Wonder where it got its name?

Thanks...I didn't know that about chives, good news for me! LOL, the "Mortgage Lifter" name...I have wondered the same thing, I will do a search and see if I can discover it. I know that folks from the tomato forum spoke highly of it.

• sandlady
    18 years ago

Junebug, let us know how the asparagus goes. I've never had luck with seeds. Have only gotten them to grow by planting roots, and then it usually takes 3 years before I get pickable plants! If you've found a variety that matures fast I want to know!

• User
    18 years ago

Here's a link for "Mortgage Lifter" tomatoes...just like it sounds, LOL!

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/monticellostore/600066.html

About the Aspargus, sandlady...my spirits are sinking. I soaked the seeds for the required 48 hours before planting, and there is no sprouting activity whatsoever. I think I am going to have to get a move on and purchase the roots after all. Live and learn...

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Daddylonglegs, go to the thread about a dozen threads down emtitled 'Member Map' by Sandyhill.

I too have been using 'Wall O'Waters' for the past 4 years. They are the cat's ---! I put my plants out in May now. I first warm the ground (has to be bare first!) by covering the entire garden with black plastic, which I leave on all season by the way, then cut holes for what I'm planting, including tomatoes. When all frost danger is supposedly past, I remove the teepees and place the cages. Incredible difference, and it's so nice to get those bulky plants out of the greenhouse to make more room for flowers.

Does anyone else direct sow the cabbage family stuff? I used to start them, along with winter squash, inside. Have found that they mature more quickly direct sowed...

Also, I've had little success starting mg's inside to hasten blooming. Any tips? I mean morning glories, not marigolds...

Con.

• aspen
    18 years ago

Daddylonglegs: The key to growing impatiens, seems to be in using fresh seed. I've bought seeds from Walmart that refuse to germinate, but if I order them from a seed company, I usually don't have any problems. I've also found that surface sowing them helps.
    Con: yes, celery does like alot of water. The soil where it's planted has a heavy clay content, and it seems to be happy there. Did you try soaking your morning glory seeds before you planted them? They also don't like to be transplanted, they seem to go into shock and take a while to come out of it when you transplant them into the garden. But they do bloom earlier for me than the ones that self seed.
    Colleen

• User
    18 years ago

Yeehah! One, count 'em ONE of my asparagus seeds sprouted! I hope more of them will pop up in the next couple of days...LOL!

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Woohoo! Toms came up yesterday! Amanas are a bit slower; only one up--everyone else is gangbusters! Anyone else?

Con.

• daddylonglegs
    18 years ago

I've moved mine to a window, but as usual the skies have turned gray so I need to put them back under the lights.
    All are doing great except the Opalkas seem to be weaker, maybe that's normal I don't know.
    What size containers do you start with and do you transplant at some point prior to planting outside?
    I start with a flat of 32 cells with the hopes of getting them outside in the Wall-O-Water mid April before they get too big.

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey. I sure do transplant them into larger containers--once. Then it's out to the Wall O'Waters. I'm growing 12 plants untimately, so when I feel they're too big for the cell packs (flat of 72), I choose the best plants and transplant into 6" pots. The others go into disposable things such as paper cups, and I give them away. Any unwanteds, I toss. Ruthless? Wastful?? Perhaps...but I only need 12 plants. I germinate extras for the obvious reasons.

MBT, you are the only one I know of that uses the WOW's besides me--aren't they great? How long have you been using them? A couple of years? This will be my 5th, I think.

Keep in touch,

Con.

• daddylonglegs
    18 years ago

Con,

I took the day off yesterday and spade forked the garden. Wanted it ready in two weeks for the WOW's. I intend to put them up this weekend and let them sit for 2 weeks.
    You too are the only other person I've talked to that uses them. I love them and have told many people about them but I just get doubtful looks from people.
    Actually, I take that back, I had one other person I know take my advice and try them. They had a problem with shock after they removed them. I told them to wait for a cloudy day or do it after 4pm or so. By the end of May the plants have burst thru them already. I've been doing it this way about 5 years now, have replaced one or two of them and purchased more since I need about a dozen of them.
    I too germinate more than I need and give away the rest. I suppose I had better repot, they are getting huge.
    If I remember I'll try to send you a photo when I set them up outside this weekend.

Keep the faith...

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good morning, DLL! My plants are still pretty tiny, so I'm going to set up the grow light this weekend. That'll give them a jolt, LOL. The last corner of snow in the veggie garden should be gone today, I hope. Most of the garden is thawed and dry, so black plastic goes down next week followed by the WOW set up for a week or two. I'm hoping to have the toms out by 2nd week of May; anything sooner is too close to call; as you say, they will pop out of the tops soon enough.

Ain't it grand to see the 'glory of the snow' and crocus blooming? sigh.

Con.

• daddylonglegs
    18 years ago

Con,

You have mail. I couldn't figure out how to post the photo of the WOWs so I emailed it to you. Ground is pretty wet here, so even trying to get ahead may be futile until things dry out a bit. Tomato plants are big, the Opalka are weak. How are your Mortgage Lifter?

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Hi guys,
    Con you hit on my favorite subject - maters. Just love the heirlooms and can never resist them when trading. I put in 50 plants a year and have been doin it for 20 years. I always plant 2 of each kind (for insurance) and then give the extras away. It seems like I always spill a flat, have some get smashed once planted or have a late frost or SOMETHING. I start with the 6 pack cell packs and transplant them once before planting out. Use lights that are only a few inches from the top of the plants to keep them from getting leggy. When you transplant them into the bigger pots and into the ground put most of the stem under ground in a deep hole or trench and just leave the tips sticking out. They will develope better root systems and not be so weak and leggy. Blow a fan on them to help strengthen them and prevent damping off. I planted mine 4/1 and they are all up. I uses the warm tile in my bathroom to get them to pop as I don't have a heat matt. The DH loves it. I only have 3 wall o waters and I agree they work great. I get so anxious to get some of them planted and I think maybe you might get a few earlier ones, but actually by mid season I think the others catch up anyway. I have found it's better to wait until the ground is good and warm before planting them. I work PM's so I'm not that good at getting thins covered if frost threatens so I wait until the 2nd week in June to plant mine. When I lived in Milw I planted on Memorial day weekend. When you plant them earlier they don't grow much anyway and you have to constantly watch them. I have had frost as late as 6/8 here. Mortgage lifter had a story something like saving a seed company that was going under in the 20's? I bet the heirloom folks or those on the tomato forum could tell you for sure. There's really not a right way to grow tomatos, it's however it works for you. I pinch out the suckers and use cages and also put in tall poles to stake the cages so they don't go over in august wind storms. Then the fun starts, salsa, sauce, tomato juice, reg canned tomatoes, frozen tomatos, every dish imaginable with tomatoes and my favorite sliced tomatoes on a plate. Just love to do multi colors with basil and balsamic vinegar sprinkled on. Even the dog likes them. She eats cherries right off the bush.
    I give you credit for trying asparagus from seed. You know it will take a long, long, long time and the key is to keep it weeded the whole time. At least 4 years from seed I think. You have to wait 2 even if you start them from crowns. I start the coles indoors but have found the key is not to start them too early; 8 weeks before you plan to set them out which should be almost a month before maters and stuff. If they get at all root bound they won't form nice heads for you and instead you will get buttons on the broccoli ect. The babies are about 2" tall. Time to thin them. I always have a hard time with that. Oh you ask what else we start indoors; 30 types of peppers, 15 types of eggplant and 15 types of basil. Coles, a number of different broccoli, cabbage, kale, chinese things, kohlrabi, and cauliflower (have not had any luck with that yet though). Will start the squash, mellons and cukes 4 weeks before plant out which will be in the beginning of may. I used to do a lot of flowers indoors, but now I winter sow most of those. Just a few pansies in the house so I have something early to put out. I'm seeing green in the winter sown containers too. Horay for spring!
    Catrina

• suprstock
    16 years ago

Did'nt anyone plant in 07?

Sponsored