Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlady_gw

WS sprouts!

sandlady
18 years ago

Doing my happy dance! First time ever winter sowing. (everyone thought I was nuts). I'm in zone 4 and have three containers with sprouts! Anybody else?

Comments (31)

• noinwi
    18 years ago

Congrats! I'm still waitin'...

• sandylovesflowers
    18 years ago

Sandlady - Good News, indeed! What do you have sprouting, and when did you WS them? Mine have not sprouted yet.....

Sandy

• putzer
    18 years ago

I am not finished planting-still not too late, is it????

• lee53011
    18 years ago

Out of about 50 containers I have 2 sprouts in my crazy daisey container!! Man I hope the rest comes up or the garden will be baaaare!!!!!

Lee

• JenWestie
    18 years ago

Yeah!! Sprouts!!

No sprouts here, but I really don't expect any until the middle of April and later. I am still sowing lots of seeds, I am way behind!

• sandlady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

All 3 containers are daylilies. Was wondering if they were to early, but daylilies are up and growing in my perennial beds so they should be ok. Started sowing a few containers a week since around New Years. Mostly using up milk and juice bottles as we empty them.

• elvis
    18 years ago

Congrats! Not yet, but the flats now have no snow cover, so that's a start--that, and 40's for the next week. 40 overnight last night! I went outside barefoot and jacketless, LOL.

Way to go!

• noinwi
    18 years ago

Nothing this morning, 3 sprouts this evening! 2 bachelor buttons and a stock! I had to post the news in the WS forum, too. This is my official first WSing! :D

• JenWestie
    17 years ago

Spinach and Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce came up over the weekend!!

• clairewags
    17 years ago

My WS project got blown to smithereens on one of the super windy days last month. The wind picked them up and tossed tham all over the yard. Now I have seeds started inside.

• sandlady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now have 7 containers with sprouts. I lost a few containers to the wind too. Set them back upright, but they look very shook up. It happened earlier in winter too, but then the dirt was frozen so it didn't matter. Also should have given more attention to the warnings about labels wearing off. Don't know what everything is anymore.

• JenWestie
    17 years ago

Clairewags:

It's not to late to put them outside again. I am still WS!

• putzer
    17 years ago

Poppy 'Patty's Plum' and 'Lauren's Grape' officially up today! I have been watching them put out that first lil root, and finally today they have their first tiny leaves :)

• lee53011
    17 years ago

Buddleia Honeycomb (butterfly bush) up today!! Also some sweet williams!

Lee

• lee53011
    17 years ago

Today the Buddliea nanho blue, Maltese cross, and pentstemon are up!!!

Lee

• noinwi
    17 years ago

Alyssum and Gazania are peeking out!

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    17 years ago

Well, I guess I better check mine. I haven't looked at them in awhile. I'm not done planting yet either Putzer, I guess there is a time when winter sowing turns into spring sowing, but I thing the little minigreenhouses work great in spring too. Not to be a kill joy or anything Sandy, but check to make sure that your daylillies are really daylillies. I usually manage to have weeds as my first sprouts every year and the first few years I babied them along with great joy only to have a let down when I discovered their real identity. Daylily seedlings look kinda like thick grass. If their real seedlings than slap me 5, that's early for z4.
    Catrina

• JenWestie
    17 years ago

Cabbage sprouts are up today.

• homeandfriends
    17 years ago

I've got morning glorys sprouting. Hoorah! My first time WS. My larkspur, forget-me-nots and canterbury bells have not come up yet. Still sowing more too. I love this!!

• lee53011
    17 years ago

Agastasche, bugbane, crocosmia 'lucifer', all up today!!

Lee

• putzer
    17 years ago

Salvia 'Rose Queen' and white Cali poppies up today! Then I got chilly and didn't check any more containers. Yes, I am a wimp.

• noinwi
    17 years ago

Bunching onions,french marigolds...and calendula are sprouting, in spite of 20 degree temps last night. I'm setting out 4 o'clocks and morning glories today. This is actually starting to be fun, now that I'm getting past my anxiety!

• sandlady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Morning glory and marigolds came up over weekend. Also melted some! Steam came out when I opened some containers yesterday afternoon. OOPs, should have checked sooner.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    17 years ago

I take that back some of mine are up too. We have to start opening the containers now on warm days so they don't fry! And water if they get too dry. Can't wait to start getting them in the ground when it warms up a bit more.
    Catina

• putzer
    17 years ago

We had a thunderstorm last night and it really made a lot of sprouts pop up! I have lupine, hollyhock, Chrysanthemum blue knoll, hyssop, and others that I can't remember now-that is all since yesterday! Lightning does wonders!

• putzer
    17 years ago

Centrathus ruber and hardy geranium (one type) are up today!!

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    17 years ago

It's been so unusually warm, (I'm not complaining). 32 containers with sprouts. I have almost the whole garden cleaned up and next will start weeding and shoveling compost. I have to sit on my hands for planting as I'm sure we still have some nasty weather to come.
    C

• noinwi
    17 years ago

OK, I'm starting to lose my happy. Germination has halted. I used 6-cell packs for most of my sowing and only 1 or 2 cells in each pack has sprouted. Why would 1 calendula sprout but none of it's neighbors? 4 cells of bachelor buttons, but not the other 2 cells? Only 2 cells of bunching onions? Just as the weather is warming up, everything is at a halt. I've been taking their covers off during the day and replacing them at night, making sure they're moist, not soggy. I've asked this question in the WS forum too. What am I doing wrong? The neighbors have already been looking at me funny, if nothing grows, they're gonna think I'm totally wacked!

• elvis
    17 years ago

Good morning! I've got lupin: 'Sundown' and 'Band of Nobles'; dianthus 'Siberian Blues' (yayyy), oriental poppies, and believe it or not--Himalayan blue poppy (gasp!!!). Most the stuff has not sprouted...I will again seriously cut back on the amount of WS I do (yeah, sure) next year and just try to stick to what has worked. Really.

Con.

• noinwi
    17 years ago

The advice I got at the WS forum was to get them into more sun. They were getting only a few hours of morning sun. So, maybe there's still hope.

• putzer
    17 years ago

Lupine Sundown is beautiful! I just looked it up. I have Siberian Blues up as well. You have to let us know if you are successful with the Himalayan poppy!!!

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area