Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hollyhocks

Posted by wigardenerwannabe Z5 WI (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 12:33

I have wintersown some hollyhocks this year - my first go with them. I have read that they can also get fungal infections in more humid conditions. Just wondering if that has been a problem for any of you and any info you might want to share about care.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hollyhocks

Good morning! I would say just grow them in an area with good air circulation in well drained soil. Those are the growing conditions my HH are in, and no problems, knock on wood.

o

I would say the same as Elvis said above. I've grown them, off'n on for years, both singles and doubles, and only once had some icky fungal stuff. Air circulation is important like Elvis says. Good luck!

--didya plant singles or doubles?

o

To be honest I'm not sure. I got the seeds from a seed swap and received several different types, but it didn't indicate specifics beyond color. So...I'll have to wait and see.

o

They tend to get rust. They do better in areas that aren't humid, like up north :). They will take to years to bloom as they are biennials so don't be dissapointed if they stay really small the first year. I was still able to grow them when I lived in the south, but the get kinda ugly looking be the end of the season.
Catrina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here