Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone want to go together on ordering some haskaps/honeyberries

Posted by northwoodswis 4a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 12:55

I was excited to learn that, as of this spring, a Canadian company can now send the newly-developed Saskatchewan honeyberries known as haskaps to the U.S. Their website is http://www.haskapcentral.com. The only hitch is that there is a $20 handling charge and $17 phytosanitary certificate charge per order, in addition to shipping charges. These new varieties are supposed to be far superior to the honeyberries previously available in the U.S. I am wondering if there is anyone in the Western Wisconsin-eastern Twin Cities area who would like to go together on ordering some borealis variety to help defray the costs? The company offers tundra, borealis, and some numbered varieties. If we buy 11 bushes, the price drops considerably, so even with postage and other fees, it would still figure out to about the same price per bush as the varieties of honeyberries now offered by companies like Gurneys, Raintree, Jungs, etc. You will still need another variety from one of those companies to use as a pollinator. I live in Hudson, WI, and have family in New Brighton, MN, that I visit frequently. Let me know if you are interested in going together on some. I will probaby order in about a week or two. Northwoodswis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone want to go together on ordering some haskaps/honeyber

I live at the west edge of the Twin Cities. I grow 4 older cultivars, for ten years now. The site info is correct in that they do not sucker and are not invasive in that way, but they are invasive by seed in our area. Birds LOVE these berries! My bushes are netted before they turn color, and every berry is picked, whether I use it or not. Otherwise I will find them popping up in various places in the yard. Please, take heed! Every few years I cut them back severely to keep the size more manageable for netting.

The species is quite variable. General taste is a mix of blueberry and grapefruit. I am very surprised the site does give any info for size or shape of the shrub, or bloom time. Obviously, the different cultivars you pick for cross pollination need to overlap their blooming season. "Tends to bleed" means you will get purple hands when you pick them. But Borealis would be my pick of the lot too.

I have one cultivar who's bloom time hardly overlaps with the others. Consequently, it does not produce much fruit. I would pull it out and replace it with a Borealis if you decide to order, but only one. I could easily drive to New Brighton.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here