Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmerboybill

Potatoes by Good Friday?

farmerboybill
16 years ago

Hmm.

I'm pessimistic about getting potatoes in by Friday...

Comments (10)

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

I am pessimistic about a lot of things I would start this spring. Still too cold. Still have snow on the ground. I hope this isn't another one of those years where summer is all of 2 weeks.

• jungseed
    16 years ago

I don't think it's going to happen this year. I hear at least 2" of snow on Friday. I don't think it would be a good idea to plant potatoes in a snow storm.
    We might be able to plant by August!!

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

Don't forget, this is really early for Easter. I think the earliest we can have it is March 22nd. So I wouldn't go by that saying.

Kat

• mike1970
    16 years ago

Err, not this year. I'm hoping to plant by April 1st but we'll see if the snow is melted by then. We still have 4-5 foot tall snow piles here.

Mike

• jungseed
    16 years ago

Well, tomorrow is Good Friday and I hear we are getting somewhere between 2 and 9 inches of snow. Starting tonight. It's not looking good for potato planting.

• farmerboybill
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey all,

I just came in from the garden. I mudded in a row and a half of the little buggers with a shovel. It will pry bite me in the butt, but I did it just out of spite.

This winter HAS to end!

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

LOL, you go Farmerboybill! You show nature who is boss (or maybe she shows you) ;-)

Let us know how it turns out.

My bet is on rot, but hopefully the weather changes quickly and I end up wrong.

• farmerboybill
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey just,

Doesn't really matter if the spuds rot since they were just leftover ones from last year. I've been carrying over my Red Norland, Yukon Gold, and Gold Rush varieties for a couple years now. I'm pry due to buy some new seed potatoes this year.

I forgot to mention that my garlic is peeking. The mice really did a number on my raspberries. They girdled several stalks. Looks like the berry harvest will be small this year :-( I sprayed the tops with liquid fence against the rabbits but I guess I shoulda shoveled the snow away like I did around the apple trees.

• jungseed
    16 years ago

You go farmerboybill! I'll be waiting to hear how those spuds are doing later.
    I'm still waiting to see just how much snow we are going to get today. It's about 3 inches now.

• tootswisc
    16 years ago

This really stinks! It's really started to come down now. My garden has yet to see any light. yuck yuck yuck

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor