Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kailea_gw

Control for moles and voles

kailea
18 years ago

Fellow Wisconsin gardeners - anyone have a surefire way to get rid of the pesky moles and voles in our area? Our yards and gardens are plagued by these pests and seems like no way to stop them.

Kailea

Comments (21)

• sandlady
    18 years ago

Hope for a snake to find your yard! We had a terrible mole problem here until the year a milk snake took up residence in our yard.

• elvis
    18 years ago

I use mousetraps for all the small critters, i.e., chippies, mice, moles, voles. On the down side, I also catch frogs and toads :(

Would love to hear about a less bloodthirsty method! Snakes sound good...

• owlcat
    17 years ago

I have the perfect method -- although I doubt it'll help anyone else. Just get a mixed breed dog (golden retreiver, black lab and who knows) who loves to eat them.

We try to take them away, but she knows that and swallows them. Very effective at reducing the vole population!

• lynxville
    17 years ago

Small windmills vibrate in the ground, they say that eliminates them. Have not tried it yet, but will.

• abaldwin1234
    16 years ago

my husband and I fought moles for several months with no results. I had a thought that worked well. We place our dryer lint in the main holes and covered it up, hoping they wouldn't like our smell, we haven't had a mole since. I guess they thought we moved in, so they moved out!! Hopefully this will work for someone else.

• kegli
    14 years ago

We too have a dog. She is a female Dalmatian. She stands over the tunnels like a fox and then quickly digs down to them. Most of them I get away, but a few she eats. We also have a resident king snake, but he does not to keep the population down like the dog does. With 10 acres, we never really get rid of them, just deal with them year after year.

• dickiefickle
    14 years ago

Both moles and voles dislike the scent of castor oil. Home improvement stores sell products with this ingredient that can be sprayed on your lawn and garden.

• woost2
    14 years ago

My garden neighbor insists the gummi bears protect her root crops from voles. This is something that even Google has never heard of. She says a local market farmer told her about it. Go figure.

• noinwi
    14 years ago

The "Vole Patrol" (hehe)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Say, noinwi, could you loan those three mousekateers out to me for about a week or two? Don't have a vole problem but I do have a chipmunk problem. Used to have feral cats in the hood but since they left dwarf rats have moved in.

tj

• trappingbynate
    14 years ago

Have you contacted a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator in your area?

When I am not in the garden or photographing the birds of Wisconsin I am a wildlife control technician.

Voles are a huge pain and can cause large amounts of damage to a lawn. Chipmunks don't cause as much damage but like to burrow under garages or sheds and will eat up the garden.

I am not saying home remedies don't work but by the time you find one that works for you you could of had it taken care of.

Just my $0.02

• betsyhac
    14 years ago

Adopt a couple cats. My cats LOVE to catch chipmunks, moles and voles. And despite all the bad press to the contrary, my cats don't kill "tons of birds." Between my five cats, they probably kill less than 10 birds per year. Rodents must be tastier. (YUK!)

• elvis
    14 years ago

Drop mothballs or amonia down the hole...I probably wouldn't mix the two--

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Mothballs are carcinogenic and should never be used in a manner other than what is on the label.

tj

• drmorbeus
    14 years ago

I have fought this war for years and tried everything like vibrators, castor oil, warfarin gel, smoke bombs. Worse than Bill Murray in Caddyshack.

Now I have NO PROBLEM with moles. Gempler's sells a scissors-type stainless steel mole trap. I bought six of them and I continue to trap moles successfully without any bait.

You just find the main burrow which you can tell because the tunnels fan out from that one place, which in my case is at the wooded edge of the garden.

Place the traps in a fan shape overlapping along an arc where the active tunnels have been. In a day or two one of them will spring and the mole problem is over.

What I have discovered is that it is often just ONE mole that does all that damage. If you can get that one, that usually takes care of business for about three to six months.

Other mole traps were completely ineffective and a waste of money. These WORK.

• ukmuminusa
    14 years ago

We bought a spike thing that you push in the ground it lets off a sound every now and then that apparently moles do not like (bought it from Menards) humans can hear it, but its not that loud, we had them creating tunnels all over the grass in out lawn in the middle of last summer, the lawn looked really bad. Anyway, they have now all gone either due to the spike or the fact that one day my dh was outside saw that the grass moved near one of the tunnels and stamped all over it like crazy!!!!! moles were no more!!!

• northerndaylily
    14 years ago

"Mothballs are carcinogenic and should never be used in a manner other than what is on the label. tj"

Whew.... and like them on cornflakes...... :)

So... one can only get cancer by using them as DIRECTED??

Goodnight.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

...and good luck. Sounds like you'll need it.

Even acute exposure to naphthalene is not good. Per the EPA:

"Acute exposure of humans to naphthalene by inhalation, ingestion, and dermal contact is associated with hemolytic anemia, damage to the liver, and, in infants, neurological damage. Symptoms of acute exposure include headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, malaise, confusion, anemia, jaundice, convulsions, and coma."

Chronic exposure, of course, is worse.

tj

• northerndaylily
    14 years ago

Get a real life tj.

Best Wishes.

• elvis
    14 years ago

Maybe that's why the mothballs work so well. Smart critters! Good sense of humor, northerndaylily~~thanks for the enlightening info, tsuga~~

• northerndaylily
    14 years ago

Appreciate that Elvis.. someone reconizing a humor slant.. :)

So I 'took off' enough.. how do I deal with "vvvoooolles"?

I use a tunnel.. or cracks where only THEY can feed on the poison bait. Close to house under the deck.. BEHIND mulch sacks... in pipe where BIRDS wont go. Get only those creee-atures that way.

Even nailed one with a pellet gun last summer.. sunning too long it was... sure was surprised to see that.

Then.. the plastic traps via Fleet Farm.. black ones set to go off with a breath... peanut butter or similar.. again.. where NO birds can get in them.

LOVE my house wrens I do....... :).

Sponsored