Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dailyharmony

Easy-care shade plants for new gardener?

dailyharmony
14 years ago

Hello -

I'm a 1st time homeowner and just starting to get my hands dirty with gardening (and excited to do so!). Our yard has minimal landscaping and most of the little garden areas are overgrown with grass and weeds due to lack of upkeep by the former owner. One of our outdoor projects this year wants to be planting a little garden area along the shady back part of our house. It is the only place in our yard that doesn't get sun - maybe an hour or two a day if lucky because of the roof overhang. Do you have suggestions of what we could plant that would be fairly self sustaining year after year and easy to care for? I have heard a few types of hostas would be a good match - what time of year should these be planted? Are there other plants you would recommend? Thank you!

Comments (10)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

You can plant or transplant hostas just about anytime during the growing season. If planted now and they have leaves you may need to protect them from frost. As far as other things go, how big of an area is it and does the roof overhang keep it dry as well as shaded? How is the soil there (sand, clay, etc)?

tj

• misss
    14 years ago

Hosta are a very good choice. You may also like Astilbe, ivy, ferns, or impatience.

• madisonkathy
    14 years ago

Hostas are the #1 perennial...there's just so many different types, sizes, colors. You can find some to fit in almost any where. With other shade plants, like tsujajunkie said, it depends on your soil. In my all shade beds, I have wild ginger, solomon's seal, jacob's ladder, bleeding hearts, ferns, astilbes, columbine, woodland poppies, helleborus, heucheras, sweet woodruff, hydrangeas. Don't be surprised if your "little garden area" gets bigger every year!

• kimcoco
    14 years ago

Nothing beats hostas for the shade. I've planted them in late spring, summer and fall, though I've had the best luck transplanting when they are still dormant. Leave the leaves in tact for the winter, it helps winter-protect the crown.

Brunnera 'Jack Frost' is a BEAUTIFUL pop in the shade. One of my favorites.

I also like Astilbe - don't deadhead the flowers, you can choose from those with green or purplish foliage. I think 'Red Fanal' has the darker, glossy foliage, red blooms. 'Bridal Veil' is supposed to be the nicest of the white flowering..I think this one looks nice paired with white variegated hostas.

I second Heucheras, I have purple foliage with my green hostas, a nice contrast.

For something taller, Annabelle Hydrangea. Just cut them back 8 inches from the ground in early spring before new growth emerges. Don't fertilize much, if at all, the blooms will get too heavy and flop to the ground. The spent blooms add interest to a fall/winter garden - I leave them in tact. And, cut flowers during the summer months make for nice arrangements in a vase.

Bleeding hearts bloom in the spring, and are good around Hostas, the foliage tends to die back in the summer, especially during droughts. Give it plenty of water after it's done blooming to prolong the dieback if you want. The nearby hostas will help cover the empty space of the bleeding hearts later in the season.

Have fun!

• turquoise
    14 years ago

I agree, hostas! There are a lot of different types to choose from. The common green or green/white are easy to find and very hardy. Are you on Madison freecycle? You might ask there, they come up fairly often. I'm also in Madison and might have some to share if you remind me in a month or so.

• zaphod42
    14 years ago

Love heucheras! I have a dark purple variety (can't remember name off the top of my head) and Creme Brulee. I have not had much luck with Astilbe. Moved them to a couple different places because they weren't doing very well over the last few years.

• sconnielill
    14 years ago

I hate hostas, much prefer to go with ferns. It gives more of a forest floor look, which is good or bad depending on taste.

• madisonkathy
    14 years ago

I like ferns, too, but most of them may need more water than might be available under a roof overhang. Same with astilbes (although a. chinesis can handle less water than most).

• maplerbirch
    14 years ago

As long as it is a small area, I would do a great deal of additional organic matter, worked deeply into the soil. When you plant your hostas, ferns, astibles, and/or heucheras, really soak them into the rich soil and mulch them down good. Water should not be an issue for them.

• dailyharmony
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I've printed this out so I can research all of the plants mentioned. The garden area will be about 3x8' once it's finished. Although now I'm thinking we should extend it further along the other side also!

Sponsored