Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ozrose

roses

ozrose
18 years ago

Anyone grow roses in southern WI? What is your best tea rose (hardy/disease resistent/less attractive to Japanese Beetles)?

Comments (5)

• madisonkathy
    18 years ago

I only grow tea roses as annuals. They're gorgeous, incredibly fragrant, but imo, marginally hardy and too much trouble. Many are inexpensive at the big big box stores, so I choose a few to pot up every year.

Rugosas and a few floribundas work much better for me.

• periwinkledenise
    18 years ago

I have Miserable luck with roses.
    John Cabot climber didn't flower last year and didn't grow much, The David Austin roses 'Winchester Cathedral' and a dark pink one--plants were smaller, very few flowers, etc.
    Icky!
    Don't know what I'm doing wrong but at this rate, I'm sure not going to have a gorgeous Victorian garden with no Roses!!!

• putzer
    18 years ago

I have rugosa hansa, Golden Wings, Carefree Beauty, and I think five Knockouts, including the red and pink. The kos were new last year, so I am anxious to see how they do this summer! As far as tea roses go, I once had a Queen Elizabeth that was pretty, but then one winter she decided she had had enough of Wisconsin winters. ;)

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

I don't live in Wisconsin, but I do live in a cold zone - Zone 4/5. I don't have this rose, but my sister has Sunsprite and raves about it constantly. Of course, JBs love yellow and pretty much any light colored rose! How about some of the Kordes hybrid teas? I also have a few Meilland roses - Fire and Scarlet - that stayed low and were never touched by the ugly JBs. They everything else in my garden instead!

• lindawisconsin
    18 years ago

I live in Kenosha County and grow lots of roses -
    Do you mean tea roses or hybrid teas - I don't think the teas are hardy here, but the hybrid teas are hardy (sometimes with dieback to the ground in winter) IF the graft is buried 3-4 inches deep. Some varieties more hardy than others - some I have had for years are Pink Peace, JFK, Betty Prior, Nearly Wild, Kordes Perfecta, Mediland White, Europeana, Double Delight, Fourth of July (a stunner!) and probably a few others that don't come to mind right now.
    Rugosas and old garden roses mostly do well, and are fairly bomb-proof.
    I started out an organic gardener, but I find with hybrid teas, I must have a regular spray program, or the roses just gradually decline.
    Japanese beetles were terrible last year! I have heard on the rose forum (great place for lots of rose advice!) that lighter colors of roses are bothered more by Japanese beetles, and highly scented roses also seem to attract them. It has been my experience that the beetles love them all!

Sponsored