Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommie_rose

I have bulbs!

mommie_rose
16 years ago

I moved into my house in October, and just today noticed I've got bulbs coming up! I'm kind of worried about frost damage, though. I've never had bulbs in the ground before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (10)

• Bob_Zn5
    16 years ago

Assuming the deer &/ or rabbits don't eat the leaves, the bulbs will take care of themselves. Daffodils are poisonous, nobody eats those. Its still a little early for most bulbs, maybe snowdrops coming up?

• periwinklez3b
    16 years ago

you might put snow on them--don't want them to get covered if there's an ice storm. Assuming you do have snow--a lot of it---becuz you live in Wisconsin? If not, cover with some mulch--keep them protected.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

I've had my bulbs start popping up as early as January...in fact that happened last year. My irises also starting popping up then too. In March last year we had temps of minus 12 for a couple of nights. All that happened to them was the top part of the leaves were a little curly as they grew. No damage really. I still had great blooms on them all. With all the snow we've had, how can anything show yet? LOL! There's no way I could even see if anything was coming up. In January during the thaw when there was hardly any snow on some of my beds, I didn't see any plant growth.

Kat

• johnml
    16 years ago

Well, I probably have bulbs too.

Hard to tell under the six foot drift.

• Bob_Zn5
    16 years ago

The snowdrops don't start blooming for me until the 3rd week of March. Earliest I've seen is the 2nd week. I moved the bulbs around quite a bit last year & I don't really remember what I did. Should be interesting once the snow melts; should be pretty soon........

• turquoise
    16 years ago

Wow, how exciting!! I have hope!

• tomuchwork101
    16 years ago

my lilies come up this time of year all the time

• Bob_Zn5
    16 years ago

You mean daylillies?

• madisonkathy
    16 years ago

Hmm, I thought I had hyacinths coming up (don't remember planting them), but maybe it's easter lilies. I toss mine in the ground every year, and haven't had much luck, but maybe this is the year!

Of course, now they're covered with 8" of snow.

• mommie_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, the bulbs were really starting to sprout up, then we had all that snow on Friday (12 inches!), so now it's all buried again. *sigh*...I had a glimmer of spring, anyway!