Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
this weather

Posted by pondwelr z5 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 18:44

Aren't we all astonished by this incredible Spring weather?
Who can resist the rush to plant out? Even if it is just to seed some pots, as I have done. As the tree and shrub line on both sides of my yard have grown, and the shade becomes more dense, I have to seek out some sun spots.

I enjoy hearing how others cope with shade, and potting up the big sun lovers, like tomatoes and peppers.

I plan to sow out lots of cheapo seeds packets in various spots in my yard, just to see how they grow and survive.
pondy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: this weather

Just remember...we are in Wisconsin and its still March. The extended forcast calls for lows in the 30s next week. ;-)

tj

o

Hey Tsuga, good to hear your voice on this forum. If I still had my big garden like I had years ago, I would have planted out cabbage, lettuce, peas, even some seeds. Should a frost appear, there are always the wonderful row covers. I used them for years, and they always did the job.
I should post on the shade forum too, I think. My yard is usually quite shaded by the trees planted on my lot line. Even tho none are giant-type trees.
I used to love pushing the envelope by planting out early.
Doesn't anyone do that any more?

o

Hi Pondy, nice to see everyone coming out of hibernation! I can't resist this weather. Even though we're in Wisconsin, and we can get snow in May, I'm moving plants and planning a few new purchases. I have alot of shade too, and it's full! Woodland poppies, bleeding hearts, helleborus, lungwart, periwinkle, lilies of the valley, adjuga, lamiastrum, and jacob's ladder are blooming. Sweet woodruff and columbines are about to start. Solomon seal, goatsbeard, ferns, epimediums, hostas, toad lily, turtlehead, wild ginger are all up. I also put daffs under the trees (they bloom before everything leafs out).

o

My new plants barely pulled thru this year. 'Wave' petunias barely spread at all. Deer ate my one and only tomato plant, but the basil looks great, as do my potted pepper plants. I let the grass in my back yard go dormant, but watered my tiny front garden.
I was most worried about all the trees on my property.
How did the rest of you cope?Did you water, or let everthing fend for itself?
Luckily, we in the SE portion finally got some rainfalls.
And, I am so glad that I (over) planted my lot with trees, because they provided much needed shade and shelter for the critters who eat everything I plant. pondy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here