Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe1980_gw

Pine bark fines

Joe1980
13 years ago

Anyone in the SE Wisconsin area still trying to locate pine bark fines?? I searched around, and found a source. I bought 3 bags priced at $4.99 each.

Comments (10)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Where was it?

tj

• Joe1980
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"The Flower Source", located in Germantown, on Pilgrim Rd. just south of Mequon Rd. It's called "pine bark mulch" but is exactly what the doctor ordered. It is half composted, very small particles, and half larger, about 1/4" to 1/2". You'll find it on a pallet outside by the parking lot. Have a look around inside too. Although not the cheapest source of houseplants, they have some nice looking plants, and a good variety. They also have some HUGE ones, perticularly an "alii" fig, that had grown itself into the ground in the greenhouse.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Thanks.

tj

• dickiefickle
    13 years ago

a bag means how much ?Brand name?

• kimcoco
    13 years ago

And The Flower Source nursery greenhouses are....yummy!! Lots and lots of goodies to choose from, we get a lot of our annuals there, MONSTROUS flower baskets for our urns, and a nice selection of perennials. Rows and rows of greenhouses to explore. Last year they had online coupons on their website. I don't see any this year- as of yet anyway.

http://www.flower-source.com/

I purchased pine bark fines last year when we had this discussion - bfg supply in brookfield 800-269-8816, do a search on user name and you'll find the original post. 10 or more bags and you get a discount at $10 a bag (at that time).

Thanks for the info on the new source.

• Joe1980
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A bag is 2 cubic feet, $4.99 each.

• etehiver
    13 years ago

I bought a number of pine bark fine mulch bags at Lowes last year. They had the big nuggets and "fines". I don't remember the price, but I did buy it on sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes

• dickiefickle
    13 years ago

Well I found mine at K mart in Ococnomwoc at $2.79 for 2.0 cu.ft Pine Bark Mulch

• Joe1980
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update: The Flower Source no longer has the small pine bark mulch. For some reason, they chose to stock huge pine bark nuggets now, which appear to have absolutely no buyers. What a shame.

Joe

• etehiver
    12 years ago

At my local Home Depot, they're currently selling bags of Pine Bark mulch "fines" and bags of Pine Bark (big chunky) chunks. They're each selling for $3.70 for a 2.0 cu. ft bag.

Last year I covered my old fading stained hardwood mulch with Pine Bark Fines. It looked and smelled great for a week until a moderate windstorm blew about half of it away. The fines were too light to stay in place. This year I purchased the larger pine chunks and the smaller pine mulch fines. I'm not sure if this will work better but I hope the mixture of the two will hold in place better than just fines. In the windier spots, I used a greater proportion of the bigger, heavier chunks.

The kids really don't like stepping on that shredded mulch or hardwood chip mulch with bare feet. The pine is much more forgiving.