Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justaguy2

anyone jumping the gun?

justaguy2
17 years ago

Just finished planting one raised bed worth of lettuce, mesclun, peas, carrots and kolrabi. Extension service says April 15th for all of them.

I just figured why not? Extended forecast looks OK so I just went ahead and did it. Can always replant in April if I need to.

Anyone else planting anything too early to see what happens?

Comments (19)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    17 years ago

I can't even work my soil yet, much less plant anything.

tj

• justaguy2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wouldn't be able to either if not for raised beds.

• putzer
    17 years ago

I have been tempted to scatter a bunch of poppy seeds, but haven't yet-maybe tomorrow, because we are grilling out and then it will really seem summery :)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    17 years ago

Not me...I'm chicken! LOL!!

Kat

• buckhill
    17 years ago

I sprinkled some spinach seeds last Saturday--March 17--a record for me. It's too wet to "plant" but sprinkling I think is OK!

Becky

• heartsease
    17 years ago

It's complete muck here although I was surprised how much was thawed. I sprinkled some poppy seed in one area. I did have fairly decent success one year in lettuce broadcasted early. Let us know how it goes!
    Linda

• Violet_Skies_
    17 years ago

I have raised beds too, and planted spinach yesterday. The soil is perfect, was covered with shredded leaves before winter and the worms, omg!!! Billions of them.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

Most years, I can't get an early garden in, due to wet ground. The soil here in the Fox Valley is very fertile, but it is also heavy, and dries out slowly. My garden is quite large (over 10,000 square feet) so raised beds wouldn't work for me... I'm more of a small-scale farmer than a large-scale gardener. ;-)

But at times like this, I wish that I had a few raised beds, especially as I read some of the comments above. It might be worthwhile to put just a couple in, for those early spring peas, and to give an extra head-start for some of the long-season peppers & pole beans. Maybe next year!

• mike1970
    17 years ago

Yes, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, and potatoes. My soil is very sandy (I'm about 1/4 mile from the lake in Sheboygan) and so was workable and not too cold. I ran out to Menards for about 400 lbs of manure and worked a couple of bags into the soil before planting. Also my strawberries have greened up nicely. Hope I didn't jump the gun too much, but the nice weather just made me want to get going!

Mike

• granilege
    17 years ago

During the "warm" days at Christmas time, I sifted the raised beds I wanted to plant in early. Around the 1st week in March, I put in a prearranged group of seeds (anything that sprouts in cool weather)in those beds. I figure I'm cutting out the middle step using winter sowing ideas.

If we had the projected rain, the seeds probably would be up by now. However, I am still waiting. A loose mulch of straw might be a good idea, till we get some real rain.

Until then, I am moving many plants before they start growing with enthusiasm. ..............GL

• franktank232
    17 years ago

Not to scare anyone, but next week is showing a nice cold shot into S Wi... Should be some freezing nights (mid 20's?), hopefully no lower. Haven't seeded anything, I think once next weeks cold shot gets out of here, i'm going for it. My peach tree buds are really swelling, but hopefully tonite/tomorrow's cool down will tell it to slow down!

• kaoszone
    17 years ago

My square foot garden beds were perfect last week so I planted some peas and spinach. I've been moving and dividing out some perennials this week before they get growing much. Rudbeckia anyone?

• Snomam
    17 years ago

I jumped! On 3-27, earliest ever, I planted snow peas, 2 kinds of lettuce, and 3 kinds of radishes. No big deal if they rot in the ground and I have to replant. Strawberry leaves are growing and something is eating them! It's not cutworms, big poops like a caterpillar. I pulled away straw looking for the #$!%&! critter but couldn't find it.

• justaguy2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, the predictable has happened and its sub freezing ;-)

Next week when the winds and bitter temps go away we will have to check on things and see what survived and what needs replanting.

• cranberry15
    16 years ago

Yep. I went to Milaegers last weekend and potted up some pansies for my patio. I do this every year and they usually get snowed on, then recover. It was 20 last night and they look pretty crunchy. I'm not so sure this time...

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    16 years ago

I think anybody jumping the gun this year got shot. ;-) This cold snap is even killing plants in the deep South.

• justaguy2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yup, I am thinking we may have to skip cool season plants this year and just move right into the warm season stuff.

That's life.

• turquoise
    16 years ago

I started some radishes and lettuce in my unheated greenhouse. Then I figured what the heck, and threw some radish seeds in the ground. They won't even be up before this cold snap is over so hopefully they'll be ok.

• franktank232
    16 years ago

So strawberrys should have leaves by now?? I Knew mine were dead! They were in container and sat outside all winter. Last winter kept them in garage and they did fine...toobad..ohwell. I'm starting planting tomorrow in the garden ...carrots/beets/peas/etc... Looks like spring starts this weekend...

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia