Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maderb

What are people planting this year out there???

maderb
15 years ago

I'm planting: Amaranth, Litchi Tomatos & regular Tomatos, Quinoa, already have Cryistal Garlic planted this last fall & Sun Chokes. Kussack Kohorabi's, Pole Beans & alot more that I didn't list. Going to have a big garden this year!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (5)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    15 years ago

One annual, new for me, I was really happy with was melampodium (medallion flower). I got m. Showstar. I was going to put it in one of my hanging pots, but we had really bad weather after I bought it and it looked like it wasn't going to make it. So I put it in one of my gardens. Turned out just beautiful. Small daisy-like bright yellow flowers. Never had to deadhead and it just kept blooming. Got about 14" tall. I'm going to get a few of those this year. For veggies, I'll plant tomatoes, green onions, carrots, red peppers and purple green beans. As for perennials, I know I'll get another heuchera. I'm not sure what other perennials I'll get.

Kat

• norabelle
    15 years ago

Oh dear, this is such a tempting thread! Where to stop? :)

I am a winter sower, so I will have 70+ containers of perennials and annuals as well as some winter sown veggies (broccoli, chard, variety of greens,) and carrots, peas, and beans I will plant out. I have a variety of herbs going or to be planted including four basils, fennel, dill, rue, hyssop, wormwood, rue, cilantro, and lemon balm.

On order I have nine varieties of tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries, lingon berries, two new rose bushes, and prairie onions.

This year in addition to expanding my flower beds, I am working on growing more of our own food, and creating more edible landscaping.

This is an ongoing process, and winter sowing and seed collecting really makes it possible to grow so many more varieties and plants economically.

I am excited to see what the warmer weather will bring this year. :)

cheers,
    Nora Belle

• wumpdad
    15 years ago

I have five 6x6 raised beds that will be filled with all the usual kitchen garden suspects (beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, eggplant, lettuce, melon, onion, peas, peppers, radish, summer squash, and salad tomato). Nothing too exciting in this group but I will be trying Zlata radish and Rosa Bianca eggplant for the first time. The salad tomatoes will be 9 different heirloom varieties - Stupice, Sioux, Brandywine, Break 'O Day, Persimmon, Aunt Ruby's German, Rose de Berne, Black Krim and White Wonder.

Three informal raised beds in the kitchen garden area will be occupied by 3 varieties of cherry tomatoes, herbs (Basil, Catnip, Chamomile, Chive, Cilantro, Dill, Lavender, Marjoram, Mint, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Stevia, Summer Savory, Thyme, and Tarragon) and annual flowers (cosmos, gazania, geranium, impatiens, marigold, moss rose, petunia, and zinnia).

I also have a community garden plot which will be used to plant a three sisters patch of corn, dried beans and winter squash as well as beet, cabbage, potato, onion, paste tomato, pea, bean, pumpkin, watermelon, and turnip.

My 4 landscaped garden areas have a few tulips, crocus and daffodils and a bunch of native perennial flowers, edible berries (blueberry, chokeberry, cranberry, currant, gooseberry, juneberry, raspberry and strawberry) and 7 semi-dwarf fruit trees (2 apple, 3 cherry, and 2 plum). Open spaces in these gardens will be filled by the annual flowers I don't squeeze into the kitchen garden area.

Happy gardening!

wd

• vigilant20
    15 years ago

I'm starting my first garden in my first home, so I'm super excited and already have it all planned out and seeds bought. I'm doing smaller amounts and a larger variety, which should work just fine because I'm only feeding myself. (yes, this will probably take up most of my back yard...lol)

beets, broccoli, bush beans, carrots, cantaloupe, cauliflower, cucumber, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, and zucchini

Also going to get some raspberries started and am considering strawberries.

• gardenquest
    15 years ago

I am scaling back this year, as i am working more than ever before and i had alot of waste last year ( Work related, not complaining in this economy)
    I am going to combine the container garden and the inground. ( i had 100% container last year, and it did not work well, from the lack of time i could spend in the garden)
    SO..this year ( and i have to promise myself i will do more)
    1- cherry tomato plant.
    2- Green pepper
    1 packet of Zuchinni
    thats it! I do not "DO" flowers :)

Tina

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus