Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdemink_gw

SE Wisconsin Swap

sdemink
18 years ago

I had read past posts about a SE Wisconsin Swap and wasn't sure if there was already one planned for the area, May 20th weekend? Is there one already planned? I live in the Union Grove area,Racine Co. not far from No. Illinois, Kenosha, Elkhorn, Milwaukee areas. If there were enough people interested, we could all meet at Old Settlers Park on the main Highway for a swap. Let me know, I'd like to hear if there were enough interested to make this a really fun and worthwhile event. A potluck lunch is always nice too.

Comments (34)

• JenWestie
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi!

I would be interested. I really live in Madison, but have a cottage in Williams Bay, so participating in the SE one would be easy for me. I have no idea where Old Settlers Park is. All my trades would be winter sown. Potluck lunch sounds good.

Jennifer

• daddylonglegs
    18 years ago

Sounds good to me too. That's in West Bend, not too far away from Waukesha where I live. I haven't gone to a swap before so a potluck on top of it might be a stretch.

• sandyhill
    18 years ago

I'm in, though I've just moved & don't have much right now.

• susan926
    18 years ago

I would love to join you, even though I'm in northern Il. only about 45 minutes from the boarder.Let me know where & when

• sandylovesflowers
    18 years ago

I would probably be interested, too. Have never been to a Swap before. How are these generally handled? Sandy

• buckhill
    18 years ago

I'm coming down to the Union grove area that weekend for a graduation party! I'd love to swap. How do plan to do this? Any tips?

• led_zep_rules
    18 years ago

Hi, I only live 12 miles from Union Grove, I could certainly come. I have never been to a swap, do you swap seeds as well as plants generally? Do we focus on vegies or flowers or do both or anything goes?

Do you need to reserve a picnic area in Old Settler's Park, and does that cost any money? I could help with planning if you want since I am pretty close to there. I am good at planning events, just don't know much about plant swaps.

Marcia

• daddylonglegs
    18 years ago

I've been tracking this thread for a month now. Sounded like a cool idea but sdemink hasn't checked back in so if everyone else is really interested in this we should probably just make it happen. However, it looks like only 7 of us which would make for a weak turnout. I would think we'd want at least a dozen or more. Maybe we should post this idea again and see how many people are interested then we can chat about how to go about it??
    Just to chat in person about gardening would be fun for me, I can also dig up a few to trade and bring some that I've been germinating, even a few seeds.

• sdemink
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry folks, I haven't kept up with the followings to the posting, I've been busy with Microbiology (Yuck)and Interpersonal Skills. Unfortunately as it looks right now I will be taking a super spring class which along with working won't allow me to plan much else. If there's some one out there that would like to take over the planning, I'd be willing to help. I am truly sorry, but this seems to be how my life gets going occassionally.

• Debbie Downer
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I might be interested in this but I live in Madison and I guess Im reluctant to spend a lot of time on it unless I knew it was stuff people wanted and that I could get what I wanted out of the deal...

Like for example, I'd have some small shrubs and divisions from old hydrangea.... and probably some other stuff... I'd want to exchange for rocks for my new fish pond and/or flagstone and some shade plants. Anyone out there redoing their landscape and need to get rid of rocks?

• led_zep_rules
    18 years ago

I don't know how hard it is to organize a bunch of people to get together at a picnic site to have a plant swap, I wouldn't think very hard. We could all bring a potuluck dish to share, have a picnic, talk about gardening, swap plants and bushes and seeds and things. Should I look into it getting a picnic area at Old Settler's Park on May 20th like someone suggested, see if it costs very much? I would think all we need to do is reserve a spot, hopefully with a roof nearby, and make sure there are bathrooms, and do a little PR.

I could bring irises, black-eyed susans, pot of gold, I have all sorts of plants everywhere (5 acres) and lots of things like geraniums, aloe vera, spider plants, etc. in pots as well. That is the time of year people might have extra tomatoes and eggplants and vegies starts to swap as well.

To twist that famous quote, I think if we plan it, people will come. Who doesn't like picnics and talking about gardening and getting free plants? Anybody want to volunteer to help me plan it? I would like to at least have someone who has been to a plant swap before so that I could ask questions!

To Kashka-kat and anyone else that wants rocks,

I have many rocks. I have given some away to several people for landscaping projects last year, but there are always more available. On average mainly 4-8 inches in diameter, and many different colors and shapes, some broken in half. They have been through a sweatlodge fire, a tenant keeps piling them up. I am understandably not keen on carrying lots of rocks anywhere to give someone, but I am only 12 miles from U.G. (only 1 mile from 94 near Racine-Milwaukee county borders) so if you were coming from Madison way you are free to stop by my property and take all the rocks you want. Other people have used them to build small walls in their gardens, they are attractive as far as rocks go, being different colors and so on.

Marcia

• JenWestie
    18 years ago

Count me in - I'm in Madison and would be happy to carpool with others from Madison. I probably won't have a ton of things to bring, I'm a newer gardner, but I am winter sowing this year and should have some extra from that, plus some toms if I don't kill them off.

• daddylonglegs
    18 years ago

I'd be glad to help if you want to take the lead Marcia. I thought Old Settlers Park was in West Bend, but I guess it's in Union Grove. That would be fine I guess, but something further northwest would be nice too especially for those coming from Madison. Like something off of hwy 83 in Mukwanago?? Either way, I'm in.
    Let's make plans ASAP so I know not to give away the plants I've been germinating. We can all bring friends or neighbors and make it a worthwhile event.
    I'll be swimming in asparagus then, I can bring asparagus soup.

• sunflower53072
    18 years ago

Just to let you know the Master Gardeners are having their annual plant sale that day at State Fair Park. People might want to combine their trip. I think it starts pretty early. Anyone ever been to it?

• sandyhill
    18 years ago

8:00 am to 1:30 I think.
    We could do 3pm start.

• futureconiferqueen
    18 years ago

Isn't Old Settlers Park on Highway 50 right next to Paddock Lake in Salem (Kenosha County)?

• led_zep_rules
    18 years ago

There must have been old settlers all over the place, so they named a lot of parks after them?!? The one in Union Grove is on Hwy 11 just west of Hwy 45. The problem with Mukwonago is that I don't know squat about it and never go there, so would have a little trouble planning an event there. Let me see what location I can find south of State Fair Park but fairly easily accessible from a freeway.

Do you think it would still work to do a dinner time potluck for those who have been at the plant sale at State Fair Park all morning? I suppose you could keep something in a cooler in your car. I am always keen on eating in conjunction with any event. The afternoon time on May 20th is good for me since I'm not a morning person. There is also the Herb Fair and Plant Sale. 9 a.m.-noon at Concordia University which I assume is somewhere around here.

Marcia

• daddylonglegs
    18 years ago

I haven't checked out the Master Gardener sale but I may do so, is there an entrance fee?
    Regarding our swap, I'm always up for eating but my only fear about a potluck is that it may make things more complicated. Maybe we could try it first, then have another in the fall and we can bring home grown veggies, salsa, and commiserate about the Packer coaching, etc.
    Now that spring is here my heart is thumping a mile a minute and I can hardly stand still.
    Let's make this happen, I'll help you. I'll check into a few parks, maybe you can do the same and we can compare notes one week from today? Then we can take roll call and see who's coming.... etc?

• led_zep_rules
    18 years ago

I guess it seems wrong to me to get a park site and not picnic in it. :-) Potlucking doesn't have to be hard or involve things related to our garden, one could always pick up some potato salad at the deli or even chips and salsa from Aldi or whatever. I was also thinking that once the details are set it would be easy to go through the roll call thread and email all the people who mentioned they are in the Milwaukee, Racine, or Kenosha area to let them know about it.

I will start checking on parks shortly, I'll get back to everybody.

Marcia

• SandiBluffs
    18 years ago

Hi everyone, I grew up 1 mile east of HY 20 in Racine Co. I have spent alot of time at Old Settlers Park! Marching band.......

There was a lovely little park just about 1\2 mile west of HY 20 in Racine Co., on the north side of the road. Don't know if it is still there after all the road construction. Might be a nice place to meet....

Swaps tend to include: labeled plants, seeds, and other garden related items to be swapped. If you want to know more about how swaps are run, there are other forums (MN, IA, etc) that you could check to see how they have organized their swaps.

I was hoping to get to your swap, but the timing looks pretty tight so far. Herb fair(Mequon) in the a.m. for sure. SB

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

Summary: The options I suggest for a May 21st plant swap are 1) Evans Park, not reservable, but free, .7 mile west of 94 on Hwy 20 in Racine County; or 2) have the plant swap at my house. I live a mile west of 94 at the northern edge of Racine County on 5 acres. Both are very close to the freeway and easy to get to, this is a rural/suburban area without much traffic on the local roads.

I called about some local parks and was horrified at how much it costs to reserve a picnic area, especially ones with a covered shelter. That would be $25 for a plain picnic spot or $48 for one with a shelter at Eagle Lake County Park (north of Union Grove) or $75 for a very nice large one in Franksville not far from 94. Actually I didn't get data on Old Settler's Park yet (no answer at the 2 numbers I dredged up on the day I was calling) but was aiming for something slightly further north anyway for you Madison folks and those coming from the State Fair Park plant sale. We could each chip in a dollar or two, but what if it rains or people don't show for some reason? I would hate to be out the fee, and I like FREE better in any case.

The good news is, the lovely little park Sandibluffs mentioned is Evans Park and I actually went there to look at it myself a week ago since the county person couldn't tell me much about it. They don't reserve spots, it is first come first served. It is a smallish park (22 acres) heavily wooded, with no facilities beyond a couple clumps of picnic tables and maybe a hiking trail. There are places like a public golf course (also a Racine County Park) and Culver's on Hwy 20 by 94 so very close for restroom facilities. In some big parks you have to drive to the bathroom anyway, so I don't think it would be a big problem. There is only one very tiny covered space, but it is fairly scenic there.

I could bring big water containers for watering plants and washing our dirty hands. I could stake out the area early by piling clothing and soda bottles and things on a clump of tables to make them look 'taken.' I doubt anybody else would plan a big event there since there is no reservation system. And other picnics would probably be held earlier in the day anyway, and we are planning for the afternoon starting at 3 p.m. I believe, after the plant sales and herb shows and so on.

Another idea I had after being frustrated with the parks is having it at my house. I am very conveniently located and easy to find, near the 7 Mile Fair if that rings a bell. Easy exit off 7 Mile Rd. or Hwy G from 94. I have a huge yard and a house with 2 bathrooms so we would have all the facilities we need there, plus a place to go in case of rain, etc. I have a picnic table and some other folding tables for putting plants on. And hubby says it is fine to invite lots of strangers over for a plant swap. :-) (We are brave or foolish or friendly, take your pick.)

Daddylonglegs might have some other suggestions, but those are mine. COMMENTS PLEASE. I don't mind having it at my house, makes it easier for me as I don't have to go anywhere, and can dig up plants as requested. :-) Is it weird to have it at someone's house, or does that seem okay? Wasn't sure, please give opinions on what you would prefer.

Marcia

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

The parks around Waukesha would cost $35/6hr for a shelter with a few tables. I don't think we need a shelter and tables, but what do I know.
    Marcia is very hospitable to have it at her house, it seems OK to me but I would rather not incovenience anyone. On the other hand being in a yard with a garden would certainly be more lively and would spawn more conversation.

May 21 at 3pm, Evans Park or Marcias, any votes?

• JenWestie
    17 years ago

May 21 at 3PM at either place works for me. Marcia, thanks for offering up your yard/home!

• buckhill
    17 years ago

I thought we have been discussing having this on SATURDAY, MAY 20, not May 21. What happened??? (I personally cannot make it on the 21st.)

I like the idea of going to someone's house if Marcia is willing. I went to one in Sheboygan a few years back at a member's home, and it was great!

Becky

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

Oops, sorry about the date slip, yes SATURDAY, MAY 20th is the day we are aiming for. That coincides with the Plant Sale at State Fair Park to lure in out-of-towners, plus the Herb Fair in Mequon. I was posting after midnight and perhaps not totally alert, and as both my brother and my best friend's hubby have May 21st as their birthday, that is probably why the number crept in.

The only inconvenience to me of having it here is that we need to clean the house beforehand. :-) But I think it is more convenient for me, and to most of us in many other ways. Restrooms, water, refrigeration, indoor opportunities in case of bad weather, etc. Also closer for most people, since it is slightly further north. I am 20-22 min. driving time from State Fair Park according to mapping programs, that should be right for a Saturday.

The suggestion to start at 3 p.m. was so that people can get good deals at the Plant Sale (ends at 1:30?) at the end of the day and then come over? Should we stick with 3 p.m., or maybe go a little earlier to 2 p.m., so that people leaving the Plant Sale don't have to loiter in between? Let's pick a definite time so we can start inviting people. 1115 43rd St. zip 53108 is my location if you want to check it out on a map program.

Also, I am still keen on the dinner potluck idea, and it will be easier to do at a house. Or is that too much for everybody to juggle with all the plant activity? We could just have snacks and beverages. Comments on that, too. (Can one have a successful social event that doesn't involve food? :-) )

Marcia

• JenWestie
    17 years ago

Marcia:

Saturday the 20th @ 2 or 3 works for me. I will bring something, probably a pasta salad of some sort, it will keep in the cooler for the drive from Madison.

I've never attended a plant swap and I am excited! But any wisdom on the best way to transport the plants? Also, I have several hostas I would like to divide, but have no idea their names, ect. (They were at the house when I bought it.) Is it okay to bring those even though I don't know what kind they are?

Any advice would be great!

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

I like 2pm better. Should we set an end time of 4pm or something just so people know not to be too late?
    Saturday May 20th at Marcias sounds great! I'll bring some snack food, plants, seeds, etc.
    Jen, might as well bring what you can and we can figure it out from there. Photos might be nice but not necessary.
    If any of you would like tomato plants let me know. I've transplanted all that I need and I have a few left if I can somehow keep them alive another 3 weeks.
    I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks Marcia.

• JenWestie
    17 years ago

2 PM sounds good to me and I like the 4 PM end time.

I will post pictures of the hosta's for identification.

For sure I know I will have the following to trade: Toms, lemon basil, marjoram, lettuce, spinach, and hostas. I still have to check my w/s babies to see what I can bring, assuming I don't kill them off.

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

Let's go with a 2 p.m. start then, and say all the plant swapping will be done by 4 p.m., so that people don't dawdle too much in arriving. However, you are all welcome to hang around as long as you want and eat and chat and so on.

I am looking to swap FOR interesting looking hostas, so that is great to hear. I started a shade garden last year. By May 19th one should be able to just look at them and know enough re: color, variegation, leaf size, whatever. I am planning to get some photos printed of some of my things in flower since I have another purpose for that as well, but I think just a writen description like "Tall blue/purple iris, likes sun" is adequate. We don't need scientific or variety names, although they would help, so certainly list that if you know it! I too have plants to share that I don't know the real name of.

I should mention again for the person looking for landscaping rocks that I have long heaps of them. So anybody who wants colorful rocks (described in an early posting in this thread) bring some containers to carry them home in. I have a LOT of them, enough for many people.

I will serve pickled peppers and caulflower which we just canned that are excellent, also something else more main dishy, don't know what yet. I can make some ice, so whatever beverages people want to bring can go on ice. I have lots of soda, but no diet soda (Just say no to drugs, LOL) so bring diet beverages if that is what you want. Water is my diet beverage of choice, and I have a big water container for those of you who aren't so high class that you need bottled water. We have well water and I love it, also Milwaukee city water in 2 liter bottles for my city-boy husband. This is WI so beer is okay, too. :-) I have lots of glasses, silverware, napkins, that sort of thing.

START INVITING PEOPLE!

Marcia

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

Hey, are you all busy gardening and so not posting? I am behind in my own gardening as always. Hope a lot of you can come SATURDAY MAY 20th at 2 p.m. to our plant swap. Does anyone who is an experienced plant swapper want to give us some guidelines or advice? I am imagining that if someone has bigger/nicer plants we would just swap maybe 2 things for one of theirs, or whatever the agreement is. Lots of seeds trade for one plant, etc.

Someone mentioned garden related material, I have some grapevine wreaths and dried flowers and Sweet Annie wreaths, in anyone interested in that sort of thing, or should we only aim for live plant swapping?

Tonight I will start emailing people in the roll call thread who said they live in SE WI to give them info, directions, etc. to let them know about it.

Marcia, hoping to plant her tomatoes soon.

• buckhill
    17 years ago

Hi Marcia,
    Yup--way TOO busy. But it always is crazy for me this time of year--too much work at work and too much work at home!

I am hoping to come on May 20; it will be a good incentive to get some plants potted up. I'm headed to a graduation party in Brighton that afternoon/evening, so need to work out details of what family members are going with, etc.

TTYL,
    Becky

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

After spring arrives I really can't stand to be inside and certainly nowhere near the computer, maybe I need therapy?
    If you see me on this thread again it's because it's cloudy, like today. I've probably posted too much already.
    I emailed a fellow Spring Citier the other day from a different thread, but other than that I'll just let nature take it's course.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 20th!

What's Irish and sits outside all year?
    Patty O'Furniture

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

I have been potting things up for the swap when they get in the way, and am also noting the location of small bushes in 'bad' places that I should dig up. Forsythia and golden privet are two that I think might be desirable. Some of the plants I have are seemingly ubiquitous, so I don't know if there is any point potting them up to trade. If anybody would want any of these plants please let me know: lilies of the valley, orange daylilies, daisies, highbush cranberry, black raspberries, and gooseberries. I also have chocolate mint. Mint is a bit weedy, but this is fabulous tasting and smelling, so I think it would be popular.

Might have a small pear tree to swap, depends on if I dug up enough roots. Also 'normal' plants like irises and black-eyed susans. Anyway, please give a shout out when you get a minute away from your garden to say if you are coming. I emailed all the people in the SE WI area on the roll call thread that had email links. Are there some other garden groups around here we should contact?

DaddyLongLegs, your mistake is that you post at 1:30 p.m. (I am guessing that coincides with a lunch break?!?) That is prime gardening time. Note that my posting is between 9 p.m. and 2:30 a.m. :-) Hard to garden in the dark, although I've heard some folks garden by moonlight. Of course if I didn't stay up so late, I could get more gardening done in the morning.

Marcia

• sandyhill
    17 years ago

I'm in, see you there!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio