Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madisonkathy

Favorite shrub?

madisonkathy
18 years ago

I'm looking for a 4'-6' shrub for morning sun only, alkaline clay, fairly dry. Wildlife value/fall colors would be a plus.

What's your favorite?

Comments (4)

• sandlady
    17 years ago

Hi Kathy. Looks like most of us are stumped as to what meets all those criteria. For limited sun my best pick is a mock orange. Lovely flowers and fragrance. Mine is always full of birds. Offers them good cover and perches even in winter. Alas not much for fall color. Soil? Well mine is sandy, but it is tolerant of drought. Maybe you can get more ideas if you post this question on the shrub forum.

• heartsease
    17 years ago

Hi, Kathy,
    I can't rave enough about using blueberries for landscape shrubs ... pretty bell shaped flowers in the spring, fruit for you and the wildlife in summer and beautiful red foliage for fall. My parents grow three with a 'morning sun, eastern exposure situation'. You do have to admend the soil to make it acidic. Don't forget the antioxidents!
    Linda

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

Kathy, my favorite is a red current. If I remember correctly, the larger variety is 'Red Lake' Three years ago I found a current in the base of the neighbors black walnut tree, in a very dark corner. I nearly had to rip it out of the ground. Now it's nearly 5 feet, max should be six.
    Once established it can tolerate dryer soil, and take shade though it may not produce as many berries as it will in full sun. The shrub is fairly dense, and the leaves stay nice looking all summer long. I've since purchased two more 'Red Lakes' and a smaller variety. The birds love the berries, it doesn't have much fall interest, and it hasn't been bothered by pests.
    Currently, (pun intended) the shrub is leafed out and loaded with blossoms.
    I wouldn't use it as a foundation plant if a more sculptured shrub is desired.

• madisonkathy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, sandlady,for the suggestion to post on the shrub forum.
    I'm trying indian currant and snowberry in other parts of my clay, shady garden. I've just got this one spot...! I love blueberries, but other than adding compost, I've had it with amending my highly alkaline soil. Red currant sounds like something I should look into. Thanks for the suggeston, janet!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus