Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When can I start planting shrubs?

Posted by bristlingacres SW WI 4/5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 8:08

I saw hydrangeas for sale the other day and I'm wondering if it's too early to plant shrubs in SW Wisconsin. I'm eager to get outside and start planting but I don't want to do it too soon.

Thanks!
Astrid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When can I start planting shrubs?

I'd say when it stops raining. I hear we are getting rain now through Sat. But if they are hardy (zone 4 or lower in this case) shrubs, they will be fine to plant once it dries out enough to work outside.

o

If the shrubs came from a warmer climate, like I'm sure the hydrangeas have, I might opt to wait until the danger of frost passes. The frost probably won't kill it, but may batter the foliage. Anything hardy that hasn't leafed out would be safe to plant.

tj

o

You can plant them pretty much anytime you can work the soil without it becoming a soggy mess. As long as the Hydrangeas aren't leafed out you should be fine. If they are I'd put off planting them until at least May 1rst. Or you could harden them off by putting them into a cool place at night, like a garage and moving them out during the day...even on cool days. It would be a help.

Dave
Franklin

o

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wait until after May 1st. No sense risking losing them (they are leafed out).
Astrid

o

Astrid,

Where did you see them for sale? If they were already outside in pots, they've already been hardened off and you can plant them now. My theory is, anything that's sitting out in the open weather in your locale, is safe to plant in your locale.

Julie

o

I think that you have to be careful planting when the ground is really wet. If you have clay soil like we do in SE WI you can turn the soil into concrete if you plant while to ground is so wet.

o

Our nursery lot at M*******'*, that place in Racine, is almost fully stocked for the season. The perennials and annuals should be out soon as well.

Dave
Franklin.

o

I saw shrubs for sale at Hy-vee in Dubuque, IA. Perhaps not the best place but I've purchased other plants (on sale) from them and they've done fine. Yes, they were outside.
Astrid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here