Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swaray_gw

are you planting outside yet?

swaray
12 years ago

Hi fellow Wisconsinites,

I'm wondering how your gardens are fareing, or if you've gotten anything in the ground yet. Its currently snowing here just north of Milwaukee and more tomorrow apparently. The weather has just been crazy. I'm nervous to put my seedlings in the ground (onions, cauliflower, kale, pac choi, lettuce) despite them being cool weather crops. Any thoughts?

Jessica

Comments (11)

• mandolls
    12 years ago

I am in the same boat. I have lettuce, broccoli, brusslesprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, getting oversized in their pots, but am to chicken to put them in the ground. I have some raised beds that I plan on moving these into, but I want to make plastic low tunnel covers for them. We have 4" of snow predicted for tomorrow (near Eau Claire). once thats come and gone I am planting for sure!

This is only my 2nd year with a veg garden and I havent ever tried early crops. I sure dont want to lose all of these beautiful seedling that I have been pampering for a month.

• hnyb1998
    12 years ago

I transplanted my broccoli about a week ago and its doing okay even in the recent snow. Sowed lettuce and peas because i was anxious about the same time. Haven't seen any sprouts yet.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Onions, cauliflower & kale might be ok. My Kale (Red Russian) self sows and I've never lost any due to late freezes. I'd hold off on leafy stuff like lettuce. Gonna be 30 Wednesday night. If this cool spring continues there will be plenty of time for good growing of lettuce this year.

tj

• swaray
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone, sounds like we are all in the same boat.
    Mandolls-agreed, I've been nursing my seedling babies some as early as Feb (onions) and to lose them would be devastating. I'm thinking of tilling the garden Easter Sunday, 50s predicted for next week, can't get snow after that, right?!

Good luck everyone!
    Jessica

• tcp3
    12 years ago

I was thinking about it but I checked the 10-day forecast and saw the weather we were supposed to have this week and changed my mind. Early next week looks like it will be drizzly and above 45 so if that holds I'll be out on Sunday planting some seeds. I'll wait to put out my tomato seedlings and plant watermelons. I had a late start on my seedlings anyway so they could use another week indoors.

• cranberry15
    12 years ago

Hit 50 today in Union Grove! I'm tempted to prep a couple more raised beds, but the soil is awfully wet still. My broccoli seedlings are the only thing I've got to nurse along. Basil seeds just sprouted yesterday.
    Anyway, temps might be okay for some cool crops, but the soil's gotta dry out some first.

• Marypei122
    12 years ago

I just checked the forecast and there's going to be rain, a day or two without, then more rain. Do you think potatoes would be alright to plant? Nervous that more rain will make them rot...

I direct seeded outside cabbage, lettuce, carrots, peas, and broccoli (as an experiment) last week and I haven't seen any signs of life. I won't hold my breathe -- I have some seedlings growing inside too.

• mandolls
    12 years ago

I planted 4 week old seedlings in one of my raised beds yesterday. I made a hoop cover to fit it, and planted Brussel sprouts, Romanesco cauliflower, Cabbage, and filled in with lettuce seedlings, which I can harvest as the others get bigger. Also direct seeded a few Radish and Carrots.

I have never tried to plant this early, and hope the plastic ads the warmth and frost protection that they need. It was close to 70 when I planted, but I know we will still get below freezing weather. {{gwi:43692}}

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

Weather supposed to be cleaning by Friday so I will start planting up my tomato buckets .Hoping it stays warm enough so I only have to cover them and not drag 'em back in the hoouse. Good luck everyone

• maplerbirch
    12 years ago

Finally, I set out my Broccoli in the Wall O' Waters, on the Easter weekend that I sowed in the middle of February. I did also put out some double impatients inside a W.O.W. and I can see the bright red flowers through the plastic pools... :)

• groovyacres
    12 years ago

I put in Siberian Kale thus far. That is it this far north. Am harvesting tons of terrific dandelion greens though! This is the best time for them. Who needs lettuce :).

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz