Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
learningasigo

More intro and question about shopping...

learningasigo
17 years ago

Like I mentioned before, I am new to Wisconsin. We live in Burlington but are actually closer to Lake Geneva and Twin Lakes than the city of Burlington. We didn't move too far, just from Northern IL but I did very little gardening and landscaping in my other home.

Along with this house, I got some nice but old, overgrown and previously unattended landscaping. We moved in exactly a year ago so last spring I mostly observed to see what would 'pop' up and assess what condition it was in. In the fall, I thinned things out (way too overgrown and crowded)and did some pruning and maintainence. Now that it is spring again......tis the season to go shopping!!

Is anyone from this area of SE WI (Burlington, Lake Geneva, Kenosha)and can suggest some good places to buy nursery stock? Do you recommend the home stores? nurseries? I've been to a perennial farm near LG which is very, very nice but they pretty much sell just perennials.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

Stein's Garden Centers are a good place.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    17 years ago

Three D Greenhouses in Mukwanago (Maple ave? on the south side of town) is good not only for perennials, but they have some nursery stock. There is another nursery in Mukwanago (whose name escapes me) near the corner of NN & 83. Also, being as you're from northern Illinois, you may know of Rich's Foxwillow Pines in Woodstock. Great place for conifers (and to see what mature ones look like). Not a place to buy run-of-the-mill plants, but an excellent place to see just about everything available in the world of conifers.

tj

• learningasigo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks much for the suggestions. Mukwango...interesting...my niece just moved there. I'll have to check those out. And though I've never been there Rich's Foxwillow is very close to where I work as I still work in Illinois. Thanks.

• granilege
    17 years ago

Welcome to Wisconsin! I keep a list of nurseries that people have suggested. Here it is:
    WISCONSIN
    1. MileagerÂs, Racine, WI
    2. WayneÂs Daughters, Racine, WI
    3. Country Gardens, Ashippun, WI
    4. HawkÂs Nursery , Elm Grove, WI
    5. Monches, NW of Milwaukee
    6. Flower Factors, S of Madison
    7. Song Sparrow Nursery, Avalon, WI shrubs\peonies
    8. Reeseville Ridge Nursery, Reeseville, WI shrubs
    There are some amazing nurseries in Madison, too.
    My personal favorite is Mileagers--they have a store in Sturtevant, due East on Hy 11. They have everything you might need including veggies, herbs, perennials, annuals, trees, shrubs and vines. Go right before Mother's Day for best selection.

Check out the Farmer's Markets.

Also, consider the WI plant swap in May. May 5th, 5pm, Waukesha, just off I-94. Check out the thread on that subject near the top of the WI forum. Let people know what you are looking for and I'll bet someone will bring it to the swap. ...............GL

• learningasigo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, granilege....thanks for the comprehensive list. You know, I've been to Mileagers in Sturtevant. I love that place! But I was there in the winter and didn't shop the nursery just the store. I will definetly go back. And I will check out some of the other places you mentioned too. Thanks.

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

As a frugal gardener, my advise is try freecycle and ask for what you're looking for. I have gotten some lovely plants via freecycle, and I also give away lots of my own plants to friends and random people. Considering that plants naturally grow and expand and reproduce, it isn't that hard to find people who will share their plants with you, including trees and bushes if that's what you want. Saves money, and you can make some new friends.

Marcia

• dalvin_mac_com
    16 years ago

In a past life I was a buyer of nursery plants for NE Illinois landscape contractors (26 years). A very complete nursery is Breezy Hill Nursery on Route 50 (possibly Twin Lakes?). They carry landscape materials and plants of all sizes, and are one of SE Wisconsin's larger growers. Another suggestion, if you know what you want and are interested in keeping the costs down, consider McKay Nursery in Waterloo. McKay is one of the better bare-root suppliers of nursery stock in the midwest, and they cater to the homeowner with smaller quantities and delivering the order on their own trucks. I have dealt with them for many years, and have purchased their plants for my own home. With bare root, just spend a little extra time preparing the planting location, and bare root will outgrow B&B plants every time! (And for a fraction of the cost).

Happy gardening!
    Dan

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County