Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
daffodils in raised beds

Posted by daisymaewi5 WI 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 11:05

Hi - I have 2 sets of daffodils in my garden. One, I planted last fall in a raised bed and the other is NOT in a raised bed but in the ground. The in-ground daffodils were planted over a year ago and are doing nicely, 4-5 inches high. The daffodils planted in the raised bed (normal soil, just 1' above ground) aren't coming up. Did the Wisconsin winter kill my daffodil bulbs in the uninsulated planting area?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: daffodils in raised beds

Are they both the same variety? I've got some daffodils that are very slow to come up while other varieties are much faster. The amount of sun they get is also a factor, the ones in shadier spots are usually slower.

o

Thanks for your response. I don't know if they are the same variety. The pics on the bags looked similar, but who knows. One area is up against the east side of my house and the other is up against the east side of a lilac bush. I would say they both get the same amount of sun light.

o

If the daffs in the raised beds are near the sides, they could have frozen. Raised beds often freeze from the sides in. You could always dig around and see. I don't think it'd hurt the bulbs (When the snow melts, I sometimes have sprouting bulbs above the ground, and just rebury them).

o

• Posted by skeip 4b / 5a WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 14:27

Key words are:

"One area is up against the east side of my house"

Chances are this ground never froze solid in the winter becaues of the heat radiated by the foundation itself, not to mention the morning sun. The dafs and other bulbs on the east side of my house are in full bloom while the ones in the main bed are just out of the ground.

I wouldn't worry, give them some time

Steve

o

OP here with an update: The daffodils that are near the house are nearly blooming and some of the daffodils in the raised bed are now an inch or two high. Some haven't appeared yet, but I am hopeful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here