Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpc5555

SE WI Master Gardener Perennial Sale?

dpc5555
11 years ago

I've been reading about the Southeast Wisconsin Masters Gardeners Perennial Sale at State Fair Park in Milwaukee and am thinking of going.

Has anyone on this board attended in the past? If so, can you tell me of your experiences? (what kind of prices, selection, how big the plants, etc). Are the crowds too large to really browse?

I'm trying to determine if its worth going, or if it would be better to just pick up plants at the regular garden centers.

Other than a Facebook page, I have found surprisingly little info on this event, despite it being an annual event that seems to get a decent amount of attention in the area.

Thanks all!

Comments (7)

• zaphod42
    11 years ago

I've not been to that sale before, but was possibly going to give it a try this year. They don't have herbs or vegetables though.

I have been to the Ozaukee County Master Gardeners sale before and I recommend that one. It is at Concordia in the Mequon area. I've gone a couple of times and have always gotten great stuff. They have roses - which I like. Ozaukee has a great selection of herbs and veggies and a pretty good perennial selection.

• cranberry15
    11 years ago

I used to be a SEWMG volunteer and have attended/worked the sale many times. They do usually have some herbs and veggies. Prices are great, most plants are 4" pots and cost $3. Some premium perennials are $5. Saturday morning will be crazy busy (people line up outside the gate). They provide plastic sleds for you to pull around and collect your plants. It's organized in alphabetical order by botanical name. Hint: if you see a ton of a particular plant for sale, it's because it spreads like crazy and gardeners are trying to get rid of it!! (all plants are donated from area gardeners. volunteer MG's dig and pot them in March and April).

• dpc5555
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

Zaphod42 - I'll have to check out the Ozaukee sale as well, I'm always looking for more local plant sales, and I will need to stock up on herbs for my garden.

Cranberry15 - Thanks for all the info! Those prices seem great, I'll certainly have the urge to stock up. I'm a little worried about the crowds - I hope its not so much of a madhouse that its hard to shop. I your experience, is there much stock left over after 10:00 or so, or does it get picked over very fast?

I have a list of the specific perennials I'm looking for (in my small yard, I need to make sure I have room for the one's I really want!) I did notice on the SEWMG site they have a list of plants that have been blacklisted for being too aggressive, so maybe they're regulating the sale of vigorous spreaders

• cranberry15
    11 years ago

If you've got something you really want to find, earlier is better. There's always a line at the gate before they open. But 1000 should be fine. It'll be busy, though! By the afternoon the stuff is pretty picked over.

I do remember they were talking about discouraging the over-common stuff. No more orange day lilies! Haha.

Funny story: 3 or so years ago, I filled my sled with 2 or 3 flats of sweet woodruff. I must have had 10 different people try to "save" me from that mistake. I kept having to explain I truly do have a large area that I want it for. (you should see it - beautiful carpet under a bunch of old apple trees). Wonder if they've blacklisted sweet woodruff...

• steelskies
    11 years ago

When is it? I can't find anything. thank you.

• muktowngal
    11 years ago

3rd Sat in May 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the DNR area of State Fair Park Checks or cash only

• ksfmcdaniel
    11 years ago

Got some great deals at the SEWMGPS today! I hope you went - I always enjoy it. I wish Dane County had one (or if they do, that they advertised a little better!). I spent $39 and got:

3 Jack-in-the-Pulpits
    1 trillium
    1 daylily
    1 Euphorbia "Donkey Tail"
    2 astilbe
    2 hosta
    1 Chrysanthemum

All were in lovely condition. yay for master gardeners! :)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists