Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gunnysax

When is our last frost date?

gunnysax
18 years ago

I live in SE Wisconsin just 10 minutes from the Illinois boarder, and only a few miles from Lake Michigan. Wondering when to plant annual flower seeds, tomato plants, and zucchini plants I wintered sowed.
Cold, rainy and windy here all weekend. Won't complain because we sure needed a good soaking.
Thanks to anyone who answers. Judy

Comments (7)

• lee53011
    18 years ago

The scheduled frost date is probably not for a few weeks yet. In reality I think it has passed. The date that is most refered to is an average date of last frost, so it is not really accurate. Memorial day is what most people consider last frost date.

Lee

• turquoise
    18 years ago

I'm in Madison and traditionally people plant on Mother's Day weekend here. It seems like I've been waiting FOREVER this year! :)

Does anyone know, does 32 degrees equal frost or is it more complicated than that??

• sandylovesflowers
    17 years ago

I always use Mothers Day as the last frost day..... Haven't been "burnt" (or "frosted") yet!

Sandy

• ldcats
    17 years ago

Some books (the Garden Book for Wisconsin I think has one, so does the Garden Journal that I got at the garden Expo in Madison for example) publish mean date of last frost for the state - it varies greatly across the state. Where we are near La Crosse, it was May 3 - May 9. It can be as much as nearly 2 weeks different depending where you are.

Like Lee said, it is just an "average" so there could be surprises. I don't think we have had a real frost for nealy 4 weeks now!

HAve fun!

LD

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    17 years ago

I live in southern Milwaukee county and they say to plant tomatoes and tender plants, like coleus Memorial Day weekend. I have planted before that though and no problems. But I do remember we had snow on Mother's Day about 15 yrs ago (or somewhere around there). I'll never forget that. My in-laws had rented a cottage on Fox Lake and the snow lasted a couple of days. They did hardly any fishing that week and because of the temp change the fishing was horrible. But this year I think we're pretty safe from that. Though I'm not putting tomatoes and some annuals in for another 2 wks. Some annuals are really touchy when temps go below 45. I remember having my front room full of plants in early-mid May because the nights were too cold for them. It did look nice though! LOL!

Kat

• elvis
    17 years ago

Around here, it can be the first week of June, LOL! This year, I'm thinking we're done with killing frost. But! I sure wouldn't plant out any tender plants just yet. Anything that came up voluntarily knows what it's doing, I figure--

Wall O'Waters sure make the tomato issue easy--mine go outside for good this week.

Happy spring, everyone!

Constance.

• lee53011
    17 years ago

I guess it must be after last night and tonight!!! Got a heavy frost that shocked me. Running around at night trying to cover things up is no fun!!

Lee

Sponsored