Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondwelr

Vinca and other questions

pondwelr
16 years ago

How can I get rid of Vinca minor? It has taken over a small bay between porch, house and garage wall. Last year I sprayed it with Round Up and it didn't even blanch. I have clipped, pulled and smothered with wood chips, and it thrives even more.

How much can I cut off of two huge round arborvitae that are on either side of my front walkway? I wouldnt mind if they died, but just not yet. Can I take off 4 inches, then keep on trimming more each month? They are WAY too big for the spot.

What can I feed my Hosta to make them look large and lush or even petit and perky? All the rather ordinary ones I have are planted on the NW side of a tree and shrub line . They survive but dont thrive. Last year I planted 3 or 4 new varieties in a front garden, but again, competing with one birch tree and its roots. I want to do something right and get them all to look good. Lots of compost? More water? Osmocote?

Any advice will be followed thankfully. Pondy

Comments (11)

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Pondy,

About the Hostas....I don't feed mine. There are simply too many of them. My guess is that their roots are in competition with the tree and shrub roots. You may have to give them a lot more water, and mulch the ground around them, but keep the mulch a few inches away from the crown. Or move them somewhere else, where they won't be in competition with shallow tree and shrub roots. I don't know what varieties of Hostas you have, but generally you can plant them where they will get morning sun/afternoon shade and they will thrive.

Julie

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

RoundUp should kill the Vinca, maybe you had an old product or the timing was bad? I would definitely try again.

I have always grown hostas like Julie, with no fertilizer. Most soils in Wisconsin are fertile enough to grow them without doing anything for them. This year though I am going to try a little nitrogen on the newer, smaller ones just for kicks. I generally fertilize my lawn with soybean meal and will just sprinkle some around the hostas. If you have some Miracle grow or a bag of 10-10-10 or whatever you could always use a small amount to see if it makes any difference for you.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

As for your arbs, don't prune back further than what is green as they don't bud from old wood. Since they are globes, next winter you may want to tie them up to prevent them from splaying out from the snow and being wider than they have to be.

tj

• Bob_Zn5
    16 years ago

The Roundup should work on the vinca. Spraying in the early Spring during most active growth should be best. You could try to smother it lasagne style.
    I fert the hostas with Milorganite when I do the lawn. I also make sure they get water during a dry summer & use Sluggo for slugs. I have a Blue Angel & a large green one (I forget the name) & I think it takes a few years for them to achieve size.
    This will be year 3 for those 2 & I'm expecting them to begin to be imposing this year. We will see.

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

The only fertilizer I put on my hostas is a worm compost once a year. Ditto on the sluggo and the fact that they take a couple years to really look like you want them to.

I dug out all of the vinca I had and used round up on what was left. I haven't seen it since (keeping fingers crossed).

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ( for all the great and practical advice) to everyone.

tj, I will ask two more stupid questions. Can I start with the hedge trimmer this week? Also, how does one tie up a globe arb? Do I use some kind of netting?

Well, if three of you have had success with Round Up on Vinca, I certainly will try again. Bob is probably right, and my timing was off, or I didnt do a second application, or something.

My old Hostas are about 6 yrs old. The new ones went in last fall. I covered the crowns with 2 inches of bagged compost, because I wasn't sure how much snow cover they would get. Ha! Was that a waste of grey hair!

So today I'm still recovering from pneumonia, but did get out to walk the yard and snip a broken limb or two. What a treat to have 60º.
    I suppose you will all get online and brag about the raking and stuff. Ooo green envy. Well, I am truly glad for this sudden Spring, and wish you all joy. Pondy

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

Pondy, sorry to hear you've been ill. With this nice weather, it's easy to overdo, so just take it easy.
    Hopefully this good weather will be sticking around!

Kat

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Pondy,

I'm also very sorry to hear you've had pneumonia. Getting out in the fresh air sure feels good. Raking also makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something as far as garden clean-up, but I think I will be complaining tomorrow when I feel the aches and pains from over doing it.

Take care of yourself!

Julie

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Pondy,

Get well soon...and leave the arb trimmining until later. Although deadwood can be cut anytime, I'd wait until the arbs had put out their new growth so you know what you're working with. Mid to late June, I guess, but no later than mid-July. You want them to harden off before winter. How big are these globes, anyway? Hedge trimmers are fine for boxwood or maybe yews, but I would lean toward more judicious hand pruner cuts for plants flanking a front walk. It's to avoid jagged cuts and offers more control (remember, don't cut past the green). As for tying one on...er, tying it up...burlap has been the choice, just wrap and pin it together with small nails or similar object. Then again, you may not want that look in your front yard. If not, plastic bird netting may be an option, I've never tried it. Otherwise, a long piece of rope or jute long enough to wrap two or three times around the UNTIED plant should be enough. This will probably wrap around 3 or 4 times once tied. Start at a low branch and tie it off 1/3 the way from the trunk and wrap the outer branches. Doubling back by looping the rope on itself helps keep it from falling down.

tj

• drcntyaah
    16 years ago

My hostas are 8 years old. They are under cedar trees and get almost no sun. I never fertilize them, but do use sluggo and crushed egg shells under them and usually have no trouble with slugs. Deer is my problem

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your well wishes you all. At my ripe old age of 65, recovery is somewhat slower. However, I do feel better. My daughter brought me homemade Chicken soup.
    Perhaps that helped.

Thank you tj for all your info on clipping and tieing up these beasties. Eventually, I will have them yanked out, and will replace with something more suitable to the site. They are about 6 ft across, about 4 ft tall.

I simply cant let my Hosta plants sit there like so much
    background. I really want these guys to shine. I will try the added compost and additional water.

Cant wait to spray that vinca again!
    Pondy

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations