Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondwelr

What's up?

pondwelr
15 years ago

Yello and purple crocus, chinodoxia, and other small bulbs and early daffs are all in bloom right now. So exciting!

Rose glow sedum and prairie smoke plants are getting tall and green, and the lilac tree has huge buds.

I drove past Steins today and saw that they have alot of plant material out, so will spend Saturday morning looking it over instead of watching HGTV.

The Heuchera I planted last yr is looking good, now I pray that the 3 new Hosta survived too.

This year will be (again) one of removing stuff, rather than adding. I have diseased junipers in my wooded lot line that HAVE to go, and one huge overgrown juniper at the back of the lot. They are so pickery and smelly to cut

and I dread the job.

To all you lucky gardeners who will be adding to the garden, CHEERS to you. What new things will you add?

Pondy

Comments (10)

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

I always love your posts.

I still have room, so adding is easy.

You..... will be removing..... and will need to add, right?

• dani_plus_2
    15 years ago

You must be by Lake Geneva???

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope dani, I am in West Bend, just north of Milwaukee.

My front yard is high and dry, back yard 7 ft lower and very moist, so there is a huge difference in Spring between
    the two garden areas.

I really have to plan a day out walking in some of our near-by state parks to see if Hepatica and Spring Beauties
    are up and the little woodland violets, and trillium.
    South facing hillsides are usually the first to pop with
    all the gorgeous and fragile beauties.

Today its in the 40s and hard to feel enthused. Still, I plan to get some nasturtiums started outside in a large pot, later this week. And, sweet peas, and allysium in the ground.

I LOVE annuals. Well, perennials too. They are the work-
    horses, annuals are the show horses.

Gotta get gardening. I hope you and Janet tell me what new or old stuff you are planning this year.

Pondy

• kimcoco
    15 years ago

I'm glad you mentioned Nasturtiums. I have seeds. I don't mean to hijack your post, but I thought you wouldn't mind if I asked..should I start potting them now and put outside, or plant seeds under grow lights and then move outside later...not sure what to do? I'm planning on container growing them all season.

This year I had to cut down my two rose climbers that the nursery assured me were hardy to my zone (yeah right)...they are cut down within inches of the ground, and yes, they were winter protected. I have half a mind to chuck them and replace them with something winter hardy WITHOUT protection, but haven't made up my mind yet.

We are adding a servicberry Autumn Brilliance to our front landscaping, and I can't decide on a hosta or pachysandra bed underneath it...Purpleleaf Sandcherries will be added to the back of our lot in place of the techny arborvitae we tore out last year (didn't do well), and I have some Annabelle Hydrangea I'm strategically planting to disguise my rainbarrel. And, as usual, I'll probably rework my landscaping plans until I get everything 'just right' LOL.

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

Last weekend I removed a shrub rose. I liked the color, but it was too wild. Last year I planted a couple of evergreens that didn't hold up well over winter, so those will have to go.

I want to make supports out of some cherry branches for a couple of clematis that I think will do better in different locations. I also have to relocate 4 clematis from an arbor we made last year. The arbor doesn't look right, so it will be broken down to be used as trellises.

I'm still debating whether I want a pond or not, so until I do decide, I'm taking my lack of commitment as a sign that I should just fill in the spot with plants.

The last few years we had been focusing on planting trees and shrubs. Finally, this year, I can spend my thoughts and energy on being more creative with color and form and less on foundation.

Basically, I too am just working with what I have, for now anyway. It's still early in the season to know what other projects will arise and what sort of trouble I'll get myself into.

• pondwelr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unreal. Tues it was in the 40s and today in the 80s.
    Kimcoco, I plan to put my nasturtiums in a pot and set it out on the front porch. Dont know if its timely or not, but I plan to do it tomorrow.

The serviceberry will be beautiful. I cant imagine why you would need shade loving plants underneath. It is a small tree and doesnt cast alot of shade. I have four of them on my property, and my neighbor has another right next to mine. Oh, the birdies just love us. Robins sit and (dont) wait for the berries to be ripe.

Jan. How I wish that I had four clemmies to deal with!
    This plant is one that I need to deal with soon.
    This Spring will be wonderful, I just know.
    Pondy

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

I have about 30 clematis.

Everyone should have at least one.

• mbcordrey
    15 years ago

Good Morning all! I'm new here, but definately in WI!! We're in the process of ripping out a pool, making a seating area where that is/soon to be "was" (can't wait!), making new beds and moving all the plants. We're fencing in most of the backyard for the grandbabies and want to make a 3 generation friendly area for us all to enjoy. Lots of work!
    Clematis...how I love them but just can't seem to grow them.
    I love my rain barrel too, even as bright blue as it is. lol
    Anyone need any bittersweet? I have tons that I need to get rid of. Located in Weyauwega!

• kimcoco
    15 years ago

Shade plants under the tree are because of a mature Maple tree on the city way, and mature lined street. Lots of shade here.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Your plans sound very nice!

I, and all the other clematis junkies, can help you grow clematis. Just ask... we're always ready to enable :)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor