Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
botanierra

Another SE WI Plant Swap

botanierra
14 years ago

Anyone interested in another Plant Swap? I feel silly: I didn't see the YEAR on the one I posted to a few minutes ago. Wow. Anyhow... We are in the Waukesha area near Hwys 83 & 18. I will be unavailable for the week of May 2 - 9. Other than that, would like to get with traders to swap out some healthy plants. I don't know that we could host a big swap meet though. Willing to discuss. If someone has done that before and would be able, please holler.

I have:

a few blue Spirea bush seedlings,

Daylilies (yellow Mary Todd, Little Wine cup, some medium Pink ones, and a sour cherry color);

some garden Peonies - mostly shades of pink;

Autumn Joy and Indian Chief Sedum

- that I would love to swap if anyone is interested. When we moved, I lost a lot of stuff and am rebuilding my variety. - Terry

Comments (21)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Well, that old post brought back some fond memories. It was a fun time. We don't hear from most of them anymore, wish we would. I don't need to swap but have some things to give away like Lamb's Ears, Anise Hyssop, Turtleheads probably some Rudbekia 'Indian Summer' if there is any interest.

tj

• sconnielill
    14 years ago

I have hostas that I'd like to ditch.

• beck_wi
    14 years ago

I have some globe thistle that I need to dig up again... I'm game.
    I think I have some bluebeard spirea as well. (and a ton of seeds for it)

I'll have to think about what else needs to be thinned.

• mommie_rose
    13 years ago

Hi, Tsugajunkie! I came on tonight after being away a while. It's good to see a familiar name! :-)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Hi mommie_rose, welcome back! Last I recall you had moved to place where container gardening wasn't manditory. Hope all is well with you.

tj

• daddylonglegs
    13 years ago

OK, you guys are pulling me back in.
    I moved!!
    Sorry TJ and Mommie Rose, I must have ate the hosta (wink wink).
    I felt so bad about giving up my garden that I didn't have the heart to get on this site and chat with any of you.

I just logged on from work to show someone this site and behold someone had responded to my post in 2007!

Terry, you live right between where I used to live and where I live now. I'm in Dousman.

If you guys get something going I'll certainly join you!!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Big daddy, welcome back. Hope you won't be a stranger.
    Now where is granilege?

tj

• daddylonglegs
    13 years ago

As soon as Granny's kids started college I think she started getting busy, I haven't heard from her. Calling her granny may call her out from hiding though, just to yell at me. I haven't been on GW for a while. Nad, where are you? Ledzeprules, where are you?

Terry, the swaps are never very big. If you get 5-6 of us consider it a big event.

• mommie_rose
    13 years ago

Hey, guys! Yeah, I moved to a house that I own now, and I have quite an extensive in-ground garden! I actually came on today looking for info on lungwart.

Any news on any potential swaps?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

If you are looking for lungwart mommie_rose, I have plenty to spare. Send me an email.

tj

• led_zep_rules
    13 years ago

Hi folks, came to look around and see if anyone is having a plant swap in SE WI. Had one at my house a few years ago and it went pretty well, so would be glad to go to another one. I guess this weekend would be a little soon, will anybody be around Memorial Day weekend? Would Sunday, May 30th work if anyone wants to get together?

I could swap giant yellow irises, a few kinds of hosta, lambs ears, 2 kinds of sedum, oregano, lots of lovely groundcovers in various shades, some of which bloom, and of course all the things that grow in infinite quantity like evening primrose, daylilies, and lilies of the valley, if anyone still doesn't have those. :-) I have lots of a lot of things, somehow can't think what they are right now. Tons of onion plants, unknown type.

Who is up for it? Or maybe the first weekend in June? I could do it at my house, I live near the 7 Mile Fair, i.e., near I-94, which is a plus. I can't rely on always running into daddylonglegs at Summerfest every year, would like to see what kind of bizarre plants he is trading this year. :-)

Marcia

• granilege
    13 years ago

HEY GUYS!!!!! (DLL--am I yelling,yet?) :)

Just finished finals last week and thought I might check the GW. (I'm looking for herbs) and there you all are! ! ! !

I have finally achieved my dream of becoming a Master Gardener and I am giving a talk on June 5th in La Crosse. If you all choose a swap date, I hope I can make it. It would be so much fun to get together again.

I could do May 29 or 30th or June 6th. Marcia, can you host?

Thanks, botanierra, for getting this started again. Yes! GL

• led_zep_rules
    13 years ago

Yes, I could host a plant swap on the Sundays May 30th or June 6th. Some feedback please from other people on whether or not they would like to participate, and which day would be better for them?

I realized that I can also offer up an infinite number of broccoli and tomatillo seedlings. I have some hosta trampling my columbine so will be digging some of those up shortly, two kinds of green ones and two variegated types.

I am located one mile west of I-94, basically between Milwaukee and Racine, but in a rural/suburban area. So no traffic problems except perhaps driving by the 7 Mile Fair. :-) I would suggest early afternoon just because I am not a morning person, but am open to almost any time. Do we have some takers?

I have some tall wildflowers that I can't identify but which the Master Gardeners at the state fair have assured me are native, that daddylonglegs gave me a few years ago and grow like the dickens. ;-) Be glad to share those, also I have a yellow groundcover that spreads like the dickens. I specialize in things that grow themselves really well, because I have too much garden to take care of, and I put most of my effort into my vegies, not my flowers.

Marcia

• led_zep_rules
    13 years ago

Well, don't all speak up at once. :-) Surely somebody wants to come and get some of these plants I am potting up?!? Hosta, groundcovers, tomatillos, broccoli, I have a lot of plants. 5 acres, does that give you an idea? ;-)

I could offer some free canna lily tubers, would that inspire you?

Marcia

• sconnielill
    13 years ago

I'm game for either weekend. I'm very interested in nabbing some tomatillos. I tried to grow one last year but didn't think about how I'd probably need at least two to get fruit.

• led_zep_rules
    13 years ago

It seems too close to May 30th to go for that one now, so let's declare a plant swap at my house on Sunday, June 6th. If we hold it, they will come, she says optimistically. Early afternoon? Does anybody want to throw out their druthers on a time?

I early sowed tomatillos and have a LARGE number of them, so would be glad to give some a nice home. I don't know if you need two to get fruit, I think last year I only grew two a few hundred yards apart, they tend to volunteer for me. I have found that if you grow them in compost they get huge! I will email daddylonglegs and try to get his attention, too.

I am a mile west of I-94, near the 7 Mile Fair at the north edge of Racine County, if that helps anyone visualize my location.

Marcia

• led_zep_rules
    13 years ago

I will invite some other people via freecycle and see if we can dredge up more interest for a June 6th plant swap. Probably all the gardeners are out gardening this weekend. :-)

Marcia

• sconnielill
    13 years ago

I'm really looking forward to this. The question now is whether I have anything someone else will want =).

I'd like to vote for 1pm.

• led_zep_rules
    13 years ago

Ah, just finally picked 2 p.m. as the time before I saw the last post. I have invited others through the local Milwaukee freecycle chat group and sounds like a few of them will be participating, too.

1115 43rd St. zip 53108. Â Thinking of the freeway, we are 1 mile west of I-94 between 7 Mile Rd. and Hwy G, near the top of Racine County. Basic directions: take I-94 to 7 Mile Rd., go one mile west (past the 7 Mile Fair) and turn left (south) onto 43rd St. Â We are the second house on the right, in all the trees. Â Home phone: 262-835-2393 in case you get lost or have questions. :-)

Plants can be in pots or just boxes or bags, but should have some kind of name tag, on a piece of paper or popsicle stick or whatever, so that you know what you are bringing home. Â Can be flowering plants, vegetables, bushes, groundcover, baby trees, seeds, whatever you have to share.

I am going to dig up some things ahead of time, but since it is at my house, I will dig up some things as requested, so wouldn't hurt to bring along a box or something to put plants in. I need less plants than I have to give away, but can use some for the Girl Scout camp where I am in charge of the gardens this year.

Marcia

• sconnielill
    13 years ago

2 sounds great. probably better as it gives me extra time to dig things up and get out there.

• led_zep_rules
    13 years ago

I dug up a LARGE hosta yesterday, hubby was laughing because it was so big that I practically toppled over in the grass with it. Got that potted up in manageable sizes, and today I potted some tomatillos, lambs ears, and oregano. Would anyone want dill or cilantro? Not sure how they transplant.

Saturday I will pot up some broccoli and another big hosta. I have pumpkins, morning glories, and cantaloupe in pots already. At least iris is easy to dig up, hope to do that tomorrow as well. I have some very large yellow ones to swap.

A few folks I know via alternate methods (i.e., not Gardenweb) are also coming over with plants. Plus a couple friends without many plants to swap are coming, one is baking a dessert and the other bringing wine, so we will have fun for sure. :-) See you Sunday. Has anyone heard from DaddyLongLegs?

Marcia

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath