Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tootswisc

Back to yard waste

tootswisc
17 years ago

I took my first trip to the yard waste place today. It will be week after week that I will be making that trip. I love yard work but now that it is here, I have this little panic spot in my brain. There goes my free time. Of course the beauty of yard work is what really happens if you don't do it for a week or even too-just a little longer grass, a few more weeds and a bigger load to the yard waste site.

I could hire someone to help me.

Comments (6)

• buckhill
    17 years ago

Hi--please clarify: are you taking yard waste somewhere or bringing it home?? Please say you are bringing composted yard waste home...grass clippings, weeds, etc can all be composted right in your yard to make the most valuable garden additive you can get.

Becky

• tootswisc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Becky-you are right. My husband had his hip resurfaced last fall and we did not rake our acre yard that is full of trees. So this load was alot of leaves. Do you compost or use all your leaves. Do you compost every weed. The city composts so my load was composted.

• lee53011
    17 years ago

I compost everything! Cardboard, paper, fruit and vegetable scraps, yard waste, coffee grounds, leaves, weeds, flowers, grass, junk mail, etc. Leaves and junk mail are great in winter because we always have kitchen waste (which are a green) and it needs to be mixed with a brown(paper and leaves). I shred everything and throw it in the compost bin. If it smells add more browns, and if it is not hot enought add more greens.

Lee

• sandlady
    17 years ago

Thanks Lee! You put smile on my face this morning :-) Now I know the use of junk mail.

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

We have 5 acres, and we don't mow or rake most of it, and have more than 100 trees. We just let it be natural for the most part, we have some nice prairie areas and some lovely park like areas. We mow a little around the house and gardens, and then just paths through the rest. The leaves we do rake go into the 3 compost bins or directly onto lasagna beds with other ingredients in the fall.

Not only do we compost all our stuff, but I get large amounts of leftover produce from a weekend market near my house to compost. I also take OPBL (other people's bagged leaves) when I see them and bring them home to use. No matter how much compost I make I never have enough! A lot easier to take other people's bagged leaves than to rake our own. :-) Can't imagine taking yard material away, I hope that where you take it, some other people can get the resulting compost for their yards? I would think hauling it away is more work than composting it.

There is one place I could take my yard waste, but I have no idea how one can get it back, it only goes away. Looking at their system I can't imagine it is actually composted, since so many plastic bags and pots and things get mixed into it.

Marcia

• tootswisc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marcia, your five acres seem to be much easier to take care of then our 1 acre. What do you do with your twigs and branches.

Diane

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?