Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keith06

last years bulbs

keith06
18 years ago

hello,my first post....well i have a few bags of tulip,crocus bulbs bought late last year and never got them in the ground im sure that happens to most of you once in awhile LOL my question is if i put them in this spring will they bloom next spring or am i just waisting my time and try again this fall... the bulbs look really good and have small sprouts i know they wont bloom this year but maybe next?? thanks alot and im treally happy i found this forum keith

Comments (7)

• posy_gurl
    18 years ago

You know that is funny........I just found a few bags of bulbs that I never got planted last year and I was wondering the same thing! I think I am going to give them a try, it can't hurt!

• putzer
    18 years ago

This is what I have always read, if I am wrong hopefully someone will correct me. Bulbs store all of their energy for this year's flowers in one season. So, that means that if you don't plant them, they will use up all of their energy and not be viable next year. I think you are better off planting them in a cool spot so that the roots have a little chance to develop as much as possible and hoping for the best.

• led_zep_rules
    18 years ago

Hi, just a few days ago I spent about an hour googling and reading gardenweb, trying to find out if the daffodils I had left in my basement all winter could be planted now, or if it was pointless. I wasn't sure it was cool enough in the basement to give them the cooling period like people use when forcing bulbs. Except they wouldn't be forced to bloom early, they would be late, but who cares.

After much reading, I decided to give it a go. I should have just looked at the bulbs first. They were all sprouting and clearly ready to go. If your bulbs are sprouting, they want to grow and bloom. Plant ASAP! You should get blooms just fine, they just might not bloom as vigorously as normal next year, but they should be okay.

If you don't plant them soon, they will wither and die. They need to be in the ground to get energy for next year's blooms. Good luck

Marcia in Raymond

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

Myself, I'd plant them too, especially if they're showing signs of growth. Though I wouldn't count on them blooming. If they do bloom, all the better. Just remember to let their leaves go yellow before you trim them back this summer.
    Good luck to all of you!

Kat

• daddylonglegs
    18 years ago

I agree with all of you, from what I can tell they will die if you don't plant them so you might as well give it a shot. You may want to fertilize them when they are up to give them energy, cut off the flower stems as they start to grow to send more energy to the bulb and not to the flower, don't cut the foliage back until they are brown. Just guessing.

• lee53011
    18 years ago

If they were stored in a cold place, like a garage, they should grow and maybe bloom this year. They need about 6 weeks of cold weather, which is why you normally plant in fall.

Lee

• keith06
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i just want to say thanks for all your replies,planted them yesterday we will see what happens thanks again...

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville