Posted by gunnysax Zone 5 ~ SE Wi (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 8, 06 at 16:01

Should I do it now or later?
Thanks, Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to move rhubarb and bearded iris

Hi Judy,

To be on the safe side I would wait a couple more days until it warms up again overnight and then I think the irises will do fine.

Do you have a deadline or are you just anxious to be gardening? :) I'm not real familiar with transplanting rhubarb. What is the ground temperature? If you leave plenty of dirt on the roots I wouldn't think it would be too much of a shock.

If the weather gets cold again you could make a greenhouse over each plant _making sure there is good air circulation during the day and be careful not to overwater.

Anyone else?

o

No deadline on the rhubard, it's not a real old plant. Just got the plant last year. It is in a raised bed and the dirt is not frozen. Thinking it might get to big for this small bed, I was wanting to move it into another bigger bed. As for the iris, it got so big that it is crowding another plant, a lily.
Thanks for the reply. Judy ~ Kenosha

o

It wouldn't hurt to dig up the iris, clean them up and let them set out for a few days _make sure not to let them freeze if the weather changes.

You can move iris almost any time but if you do it now they probably won't bloom this year _at least not much. On the other hand if you wait until fall the rhizomes will have gotten more nutrients. BUT that would probably still mean a poor flower show next spring. It takes a year for them to get established.

I like to do things when the spirit moves me so I would probably move them now. You can fill with annuals for this year and toss tall snapdragon seeds which will give you color in late summer _they will reseed and are a good mix for the iris next year after they are done blooming. I also like to grow flanders poppies and pansies amidst the iris.

I had frost again this morning. Everything is growing like crazy. Can't help but be anxious to get started.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here