Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Direct Sowing

Posted by putzer z4 WI (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 12, 06 at 17:16

What, if anything, have you direct-sown outside yet? I am tempted because of the warm weather, but knowing Murphy's Law, as soon as I do it will snow or some fool thing!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Direct Sowing

Hi putzer,

I've sown snapdragons, linum and oriental poppies. With two to three weeks until germination I've got my fingers crossed.

The self sown seedlings on the malva and foxglove are at the two leaf stage. (I've lost second year foxglove when I uncovered too soon so I know those will be susceptible.) Self sown columbine, sea holly, and delphinium seedlings are coming up nicely.

I don't want to even think about it getting cold again. But _I'm still keeping my sheets handy from last weeks cold blast.

o

Hi Putzer,
Most things, unless they are tropical can be direct sown any time. They just won't come up until it's warm enough. Same principle as winter sowing. I throw seeds out in the meadow in the winter the snow melt keeps them moist and if I do it durring the snow storm then I don't have to worry about the birds eating them. Many flowers acutally sprout better if they have some chilling. Besides the meadow I have direct sown poppies, hollyhocks, batchular buttons calendula and sweet peas so far.
Go ahead, throw those seeds out. If I get enough ampition in the fall I try to prepair some beds so they will be ready for those early seeds to go in.
The seedlings will be much more hardy that any that were starte indoors so they can take some frost.
Catrina

o

I always plant potatoes on Good Friday, and also sowed lettuce, spinach, carrots, beets, kohlrabi and peas on Friday--it was a great gardening day--and made it to church twice!

I planted linum (flaxseed) too--it was the free seed from Jung's this year. Anyone have any experience growing this?

Becky

o

I haven't grown it yet, but I have TONS of blue flax seed and will be planting it this year. Thanks for all of your answers, I will pot up the rest of the milk jugs I have saved and then just start direct sowing. This will be our first year having a raised bed for veggies, so I have to wait until we actually make the raised bed to plant any of those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here