Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlsch

Delphiniums

jlsch
15 years ago

Just wondering if your delphs are up yet. I don't see signs of mine and am wondering if they were lost this winter.

Comments (7)

• cheryloz4
    15 years ago

I am zone 4 and mine are just poking through. Be patient a bit longer.

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

Mine are up about 12" so far, but they're in a raised bed on the south side of our garage, which is fairly well protected from strong winds, and warmed by the sun....probably a mini climate there.

Julie

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Mine are like Julies. a foot high in the woods but in a sunny spot. I just found out deer do not like them. I guess I can take the cage off. Life is good..... Barb

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

They are annuals for me. (sob)
    Pondy

• norabelle
    15 years ago

Hi there,

I am so glad to see this thread!

I am attempting four delphs from seed: magic fountain, pacific giant mix, pacific giant blue bird, and giant pacific summer skies. I have had some germination with magic fountain, a couple blue bird, and one giant mix, but it is still early. :)

For those of you who have had success with your delphs, what are you feeding them? How are you caring for them? I have done some reading and searching about delphs on GW and the Web, but much of the discussion is in warmer zones and different locations.

I would really like to put some of the delphs in a lasagna-style bed I started last fall. Some of the others I am going to put in a back bed that I am using as a long-term nursery bed. The lasagna bed gets full sun from sun-up until about 2:30-3 p.m., and the back garden has full sun from about 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

What do you feed your delphs? How often? I have Espoma (sp?)-brand fertilizer, make my own compost, and use fish emulion ferts. What has worked well for you all?

Thanks for all of your experience, time, and help!

cheer,
    Nora

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

Hi Nora,

My delphiniums are growing in a raised bed, so they get good drainage. I understand they don't like wet feet during winter months. When I first planted them, I worked in plenty of compost and well rotted manure. They are also mulched with a couple inches of oak leaves that happen to land there every fall. You can feed them with rose food, or all purpose plant food. Follow label directions. Give them plenty of water April - July.

Julie

• norabelle
    15 years ago

Thank you, Julie! I have a lasagna bed that I started last fall, which has lots of compost and some duck and chicken doo (well rotted). I have a bunch of seedlings started to put in the bed. I think it drains well, so I hope the delphs will like it. So far I have a few of each variety sprouted. :) Some of the magic fountains even have the teeniest, tiniest set of first leaves.

I will remember to give them a good leaf mulch in the fall.

Thanks again!

cheers,
    Nora

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists