Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gunnysax

When is it safe to move columbine?

gunnysax
15 years ago

Hello. I have a rock garden enclosed with timbers along my driveway. Around the 2nd. week in May I am having a new driveway put in, and the guy who is doing it says he has to remove the timbers inorder to frame in where the new concrete will go. Part of the timbers are resting on the old concrete driveway. He will have to move the dirt back, and my columbine are just now coming up are are planted right behind the timbers. They were started from seed last year, and should be blooming this year. I would like to move them to a safe place. When would be a good time, and if I do move them do you thing they will still bloom this year? I live in Kenosha.
Thanks to anyone who responds. GS

Comments (8)

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

Somewhere in all my garden notes, I remember making a note that early spring, about 3 weeks before your area's average last frost date, is a good time to plant or transplant perennials. But don't do it if the weather is too cold, or the ground is too wet. When you do move them, take as much dirt as you can with the roots, so as not to disturb the root mass. I think they will still bloom for you this year.

Just a tip about Columbines, BTW...
    They are short lived, but readilly reseed themseves. If you let the seeds ripen, collect them from the dried seed pods (sometime in July) and scatter them throughout your garden areas where you might want more of them. They won't necessarily come true to the parent plant, but that's what's exciting - you will be surprised at what new colors you might get!

Julie, your neighbor in Racine county.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

I don't know if it is the right time, but I have moved many about this time of year without problems-and they still bloomed.

tj

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    15 years ago

As long as you can dig in the ground and it's not wet, you shouldn't have a problem. Like Julie said, don't disturb the roots, take as much of the dirt around them as you can and just put the clump in the new area.
    Julie, this is just my 2nd year with columbine. Last year I deadheaded them, but this year I'll let some go so I can get new ones. I think it would be great on getting different colors. Btw, how long is 'short lived'?

Kat

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

Columbine comes up for me in a gravel pathway under an entry arbor to my patio. Initially, I planted a few plants in the area, now they are all over. Love that!
    Same thing happened with Lupines. I planted about 5, ended up the next year with about 20.

Remember all you that are too eager to do garden clean-up and cut everything down: Many, many plants will reseed if left alone until frost kill.

As to when to move those little columbine seedlings, well,
    If they are up and growing, they are ready to move. If they are last years seedling, let them alone until you see new growth. I sure am no expert, but that has worked for me. Pondy

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

They do reseed very readily, but they are also, shall we say, promiscuous. They will cross-pollinate quite easily and may not come true to seed if you have other colors around.

tj

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    15 years ago

TJ, the different colors wouldn't bother me. I had a hard time picking out the ones I bought...I loved all the different colors!

Kat

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

promiscuous

LOL! I love it!

Julie

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?