Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what hydrangeas do you grow?

Posted by keith06 zone5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 19:40

hi everyone,just a question on what hydrangeas you all are growing with success? i grow annabelle but im looking for something diff that will bloom in this area jefferson county.i wish we could grow the mopheads with luck thanks for your replies and keep er growing...........

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what hydrangeas do you grow?

I have two Endless Summers and I love them. Take a look at this link and click on the links in the first paragraph to see what's coming as far as new types:

Here is a link that might be useful: Endless Summer

o

I grow Pee Gee, Unique, Limelight, Annabelle, Pink Diamond, and Pee Wee. I have an Endless Summer but so far it hasn't done much. Truthfully, it hasn't been in place for long so it is early to determine how it will perform.
Linda

o

• Posted by rubrum z3 in NE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 7, 06 at 22:27

I had tried a hydrangea a few years ago at my old house... I had clay ground and the poor thing grew some leaves and that was it... two years and I never got a flower; then I moved it to this house with mostly sand and it pooped out. I have a snowball bush that is floureshing tho. I did give my hy miracid but that didn't help, it didn't like me I guess.

o

I love in Rock County,right inside of Milton and I grow Annabelle & Endless Summer. They do very well! I have to stake my Annabelles though.

o

None...nasty weeds for me. It took me 4 yrs to root out an Annebelle. The root system was horrendous. If you're planting an Hydrangea, make sure you KNOW where you want it.

Dave
Milwaukee

o

I have a couple of Oak Leaf hydrangeas, bought on sale at the end of the season last year. Both are doing well--no flowers yet--but even so, the foliage is stunning, especially when it turns colors in the fall. I'm in Zone 5, SE Lake Michigan.

o

I have a variegated hydrangea I got on clearance that year at Kmart. My friend bought one for her sister at the same time, and both of ours are still alive. I put mine in a big pot and put in the garage during winter. She planted hers and just mulched it well. I also have Tardiva, Endless Summer (not my favorite, weeps at any sign of heat), Pee Wee, Oakleaf, and just order a Lady in Red which I am going to put in a very protected area outside.
Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here