Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steiggy86

New to Gardening...help?

steiggy86
12 years ago

Hello all,

I am new to gardening, but decided I wanted to give it a try this year. I have a large layered rock garden, with lots of open space at the base (which receives a great deal of sun), and at the top of the rock garden is a large level area with good soil and partial shade.

I started all of my flowers indoors in March (I live in northern Wisconsin) Since I'm new to this, I decided to start a lot of different varieties so I could see what works and what doesn't. I wasn't expecting them all to thrive, but all my seeds sprouted and they appear to be doing quite well. Here is what I have:

Cosmos (Bright Lights collection and chocolate)

Daylilly

Stargazer Lilly

Toad Lilly

Tricolor Daisies

Sweet Pea

Forget-Me-Not

Rock Cress

Foxglove

Delphinium

Snapdragons

Asylum (Pink and White varieties)

Morning Glory

Moonflower

Bachelors Buttons (2 varieties, 1 mixed and 1 blue)

Columbine

Aster

Gaillardia

Sweet William

Coleus

Hostas

Monarda

Black Eyed Susan

Liatrus

Oriental Poppy

Portulaca

Zinnia

Impatiens

It really seems like a lot, but I do have a big space and plan to give what I can't fit to my neighbors. I have areas of full sun, partial shade, and full shade available for planting. Does anyone have advice as to which of these I should pair together in my garden? Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated. Also, I know some flowers don't bloom their first year...if anyone knows which I can hope to get to bloom this year, I'd love a heads up! (: Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!