Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilacs

Posted by thonotorose FL 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 20:41

I am writing for my cousin who is not on Garden Web, yet.

She has a lilac in that has only bloomed once in the five or more years it has been in the ground.

She is in town' in Neenah. I told her that the ph may be a factor, but am guessing from here in Florida.

Do you have any tips for her?

TIA,

Veronica for her cousin Patty.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilacs

have the soil tested first

o

Is it full sun?

tj

o

It is in full sun.

o

Does she prune the shrub? A common mistake. Lilacs are very particular in that the only time to safely prune and still have flowers is within 2 weeks of blooms' wain. Any other time and you are risking removal of flower buds for the next cycle. Of course, pruning at the incorrect time will never kill or harm the health of the plant.

o

Every time I have been asked this question of a seemingly healthy lilac not blooming, the reason I found was the lilac was trimmed back after mid-summer (July) and the flower buds, which form on the tips of the new growth, were cut off and the plant did not have enough time to form new flower buds. Lilacs like a sweet soil....the addition of a little lime to the soil in the root zone will improve the color, size and abundance of flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here