Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to put onion plants in garden?

Posted by kim1947 Z3 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 07 at 22:15

I bought a flat of Kelsae onion plants and can't find out when it's safe to put them in the garden. We'll still get some light frosts for a few weeks. If I should wait awhile I'll probably need to repot them since they're rootbound. Anybody have experience with them in Zone 3?

Also, do cutworms like baby onion plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to put onion plants in garden?

Put them out now is my guess. I am zone 5, but onions are perennial here. They die back some in the winter, but I have onions that are at least 20 years old growing all over my yard, my mom stuck them all over in her flower beds. Anyway, mine have been growing for some time, it doesn't really matter if they get light frost.

Marcia

o
RE: when to put onion plants in garden?

Agree with led zep. Hard to disagree with anyone who chooses a username after a stone cold awesome rock group. ;-)

Garlic I fall plant and onions I spring plant. Onions are not in the least bit frost/freeze sissies. The greenery will die back in hard, prolonged freezes, but the bulb will survive.

There are perennial onions such as the various 'walking' onions', but if you are after large bulb size with sweet or mild flavor choose 'long day' varieties (for our northern area) and plant out sets or plants in early spring and water, fert well.

o
how to put oions up

i wonted to know how to pu up onions up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here