Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubrum

Is anyone up around Eagle River/Phelps?

rubrum
18 years ago

Hi,

we have land up there with plans to move up in about ten years-ish.

I'm wondering what plants and bulbs will survive up there? Right now I'm looking at lifting a patch of turtle heads and planting them up at the cabin, but I worry they'd either get mowed down by deer or freeze out? I see tulips and daffs up there, but what about hyacinth? Guess I'm just wondering how much difference there is from the Green Bay area... thanks

Comments (2)

• virginia_w
    18 years ago

I live in Zone 3, only west of you, near Winter. I moved several hundred plants up here from the Eau Claire area about 12 years ago.--hosta, iris, peony, jacob's ladder, bleeding hearts, goatsbeard, cimicifuga, sweet wooddruff, astibe, aquilegia, epimedium, salvia, phlox, pulmonaria, liatris, daylilies, lilies, coneflower, black-eyed susan, daisies, clemaatis, etc. etc. The only ones that died were some of my special rock garden plants. I have many bulbs-tulip, daffodil, scilla, snowdrops, Glory of the snow, hyacinths, species tulips, etc and they all do fine here. Deer do really love hybrid tulips, but don't bother the species tulips, and of course nothing eats daffodils. I have quite a bit of turtle head and it even self-sows very abundantly. I'd suggest most of your plants that survived in Green Bay will survive up here. My sister lives in Appleton and the main difference I see in her garden is that our soil here is quite acid and hers is alkaline. That does affect plants like baby's breath, gaillardia, and a few others that like alkaline soil.Some bushes like redbud are not hardy here, but I have azaleas, lilacs, hydrangea, weigela, serviceberry, and even a rhododendron that has survived for 7 years with pampering.
    Take a chance, and move whatever you like. You'll be glad you did. (You do have to do some deer protection though)

Virginia

• User
    18 years ago

Good morning, Eagle River here. Bulbs--deer love tulips, crocus, lily. So I plant daffodils, scilla, glory-of-the-snow, pushkinia, and hyacinth (poisonous) for spring bulbs. Tulips only where they are protected (I dearly love tulips, sigh). I've found a very effective spray to repel deer called 'Deer Out'. It's different from the others with similar names in that it smells like mint, doesn't rinse off with rain. Re-apply to new growth. Believe it or not, I have totally unprotected hostas thriving. I buy it online direct from the company, but I've seen it at 3X the $ in garden centers. No, I don't work for these people, LOL.

However, you will not be here to use the spray often enough, so unless you are fencing, take care what you plant. The deer population up here is obscene. Every spring I find starved deer in our woods; feeding them only worsens the problem as it contributes to the over population. But I digress--

The only plants I have found that the deer absolutely do not touch in my garden are the silver-white ones, such as artemesia. Also, they tend to leave the herbs alone: tarragon, sage, any mint.

As far as climate goes, I'd say we're more a zone 4 these days; it's not as cold as you might think. We do get those cold snaps of 30 below once in a while, but only after a good snow cover, so it's not much of a perennial issue, except when we get bitter cold before the snow and as such, get deep frost. Therein lies the big problem :0

Great to hear from you--whereabouts is your property? Welcome to the Forum!

Constance.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals