Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

How likely to find these hostas locally?

kimcoco
13 years ago

I'm looking for hosta paradigm and Peppermint Ice - wondering if anyone has seen these at any local nurseries (milwaukee), or if I should just order them online for spring shipping. Not sure how common/uncommon they are.

Comments (16)

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    13 years ago

You also might want to check out the SE WI Hosta Soc. plant sale in Brookfield this June, the NE chapter up by me has tons of nice stuff at their June sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: SE WI Hosta Soc.

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

The Flower Factory in Stoughton has Paradigm but not Peppermint Ice.

• sharoncl
    13 years ago

Johnson's Nursery in Menomonee Falls also has Paradigm hosta listed on their website.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback and the links.

Peppermint Ice must be rather new, I'm having a difficult time locating it here. Looks like I'll have to purchase online, if nothing else.

I'll definitely check out the plant sale in June.

• davej_07
    13 years ago

Trust me, If you go to the sale you will fall in love with ALOT of others as well. Talk to Ken Ziarek, hes the one who doesthe SEWHS sales, and he will set you up. He's been my Hosta guru for quite afew years now:P

Dave

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, and unfortunately I have a teeney weeney yard, so not much more room for hostas. Too bad, I fall in love with some of those beautiful hostas, but I have no where to put them!

My MIL on the other hand has a large lot, wooded, and lots of hosta beds. Maybe I'll start collecting them for her. :)

• steelskies
    12 years ago

I went to the Hosta Society plant sale a few years ago and spent over $300. My husband was NOT happy with me! He just doesn't understand..........! they have an amazing assortment and they all look like robust healthy plants.

• davej_07
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, due to political problems within the club, the SEWHS voted to no longr hold club sales........

Dave

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Dave, was that just recently? The web page still shows the sale (or a sale) on their 2011 calendar of events.

tj

• davej_07
    12 years ago

It was decided at the last board meeting. Maybe a month ago.

Dave

• davej_07
    12 years ago

To anyone who may be interested, I have peppermint ice o.s. Available for purchase. Email me if you'd like more info.

Dave

• cma1973
    12 years ago

If you have time this weekend you might want to check out Al's Auto Body and Arboretum by Walworth. They have Hosta fest this weekend and next weekend. We did go and bought a few different hostas. Not sure if he has the ones you are looking for but it is a neat place

http://alsautobodyandarboretum.com/hastafest.html

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dave, I'm a little late in responding - we were out of the country. I sent you an email about Peppermint Ice.

We did go to the Land of the Giants hosta farm in Milton(?) and WOW, some nice specimens. Unfortunately, though we were told beforehand that they had Peppermint Ice, once we arrived (after a 1 1/2 hr drive) we were told otherwise. Anyway, we did get some nice hostas.

Still on the prowl for Peppermint Ice....prefer not to mail order.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Did you find PI yet? Interested to know what the premier places are to get hostas around here. Some of the garden centers have such a POOR offering!

Going through the post I was pretty excited about the SEWHS sale event so it was a bit disappointing to see that it was cancelled.

• davej_07
    12 years ago

I've been trying to email you Kimcoco and whaas and the system doesn't seem to be sending them. If you're interested in Peppermint Ice or any other specific hosta please email me at davej_07 at yahoo dot com......hopefully that will stop a little spam lol.....

Put hosta in the subject so my filter won't delete it
    Thanks
    Dave

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't get your messages - I will send an email.

Whaas, yes, the pickings are slim at local nurseries, disappointing. I don't know if you read my other posts, I took a trek out to Milton, WI to LOTG hosta farm. Hosta heaven!!! I didn't know where to begin...

Funny, I was just looking at Contrary Mary's plants - she has Peppermint Ice available on her website.

I'll check with Dave.

Sponsored